Tuesday, March 3, 2009

2009 Topps Attax is on the Bay!!!

I read today from the Card Junkie (not to be confused with the Cardboard Junkie) that 2009 Topps Attax is now live. As mentioned in a previous post, I said I'd be interested in going after a full set, since I'm not going to into the same frenzy I did when Hot Button Baseball came out a few years back.

Anyway, there is one complete, full, set on the Bay right now. The BIN on it is $350.00. Too expensive for now. I'll wait. But that isn't what got my attention.

If you collected Pokémon cards a decade ago, you'd remember that while the most expensive card was the Charizard, the most powerful card was Mewtwo (and before you ask, I have a nephew who grew up on this stuff in the late 90's, early 2000's. I know this stuff...to a point). Get enough Mewtwo's, and 40 Psychic cards and you'd be unstoppable (and your friends would never talk to you again...but that's beside the point...stop looking at me funny).

Anyway, guess what the most powerful card in the whole deck is???

No, it's not Mantle. It's not Ruth. Heck, it's not even A-Rod. Please take a look at this stock eBay photo, and take a look at the card on the bottom left corner...

Could that be???

I can't get a bigger picture up, and heck no, I don't have this card...but, yes, it's a Topps Attax card of the President of the United States...Barack Obama!!!

And look at those scores. I don't know what the rules are of the game yet, nor do I know if the POTUS is here as a pitcher or a batter, but check out those numbers. All in the triple digits. He's either a powerful pitcher, or the heavy hitter in this game. If I had this card, be sure he'd be in my lineup. I'd be unstoppable.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Wait, I don't even have the cards yet...

I think I'll wait for the hysteria to die down. I'm sure I can get a full set for $100 if I'm patient enough...

Sincerely,

JayBee Anama

5 comments:

jackplumstead said...

I'm with you on this one JayBee. I want to get a hold of some of these cards.

Bay Rat North West said...

For once I call bullshit on Topps. I usually don't care about their attempts to make people buy more cards. But to make a person who has never played the game on a professional level the highest power level and a short print is plain insulting. It's like making a card of the Ford Pinto the most powerful in a Pokemon set.
The set is nice but that is just not right for baseball fans.

Nachos Grande said...

I'll withhold my judgment on the set itself until I have a few cards in my hand, but I agree with the sentiment that the Obama card being the "best" just isn't right. Topps loves Obama, and I don't mind most of the cards (even the short print in the regular Topps set), but I don't think he belongs in a set of game cards...and certainly not as an uber-powerful player!

As for the set itself, I guess it's a more collectable version of SportsClix. I kind of liked SportsClix - so I might give this a try too.

Anonymous said...

What a joke. I haven't come across him on the site. I think it's ridiculous though. Leave the ball playing to the players. Leave the president to doing just that...and there's no way his scores would be that high if you were rating his abilities as a baseball player or president.

Pixkidz said...

I actually own the obama card! Here's my video (You can show it if you want)!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVuruQIzm3E
I actually show the card at 2:05 in extent.