Once again, there will be 330 cards in the set, and they will be numbered #US1 to #US330 like last year. The thing that bothers me a bit is that this set is going to have tons of parallels.
Put it this way. You know how in series 1 and 2 there were platinum diamond parallels (the silver borders), and canary diamond parallels (the yellow borders that are 1 of 1)? With this year's Update Series, we will be introduced to Hope diamond parallels (blue borders that are numbered to 60 copies per card) and "Cognac" diamond parallels (orange/brown borders that are "limited"...whatever that means). And to top it all of, they say that "Hope and Cognac Diamond parallels of all 709 cards in series 1 and 2, including variations, will be inserted in this product. So if you thought you captured the rainbow of your favorite player, guess again??!
The official breakdown of the 330 card set includes:
- 192 veterans (still a number of TBD's on the initial checklist, and you just know that it's subject to change)
- 55 rookies
- 10 "Rookie Debut" cards (featuring ten rookies and what they did in his major league debut. Hey, it's not the MLB Debut set I've been hoping for, but it's a start.)
- 8 Home Run Derby participants (if these sell sheets were out at the same time last year, we'd at least know who'd be included here)
- 5 Record Breakers/Checklists
- 60 All-Stars (the sell sheet says "All the players from the 2011 MLB All-Star Game)
There is no checklist on which legends will appear as variations to the regular set. The sheets do depict a card of recently signed Topps exclusive Henry Aaron (albeit in Hope Diamond form). If his card shows up n series 2, then the Update Series variations remain a mystery.
Kimball's Champions, Topps 60, and Diamond Duos, the three continuity inserts in 2011, conclude here. No mention of any reprint card in the checklist or the sell sheet. Which is good, because as much as I like reprints from Topps' catalog of cards, they have been over done. The 2011 set will also feature autos and relics from the All-Star Game, ad possibly the World Series.
I did not find a site with Product information (if I do find it,I will include it here on the blog).A preliminary checklist can be found here, but remember, it is always subject to change.
Bring on November!!!