Thursday, March 4, 2010

Ain't We Got Fun???...or What Does a Topps Collector Think of the New UD Mess

Okay, blog after blog after blog have already said their piece regarding what they think of the newest development, in this case, UD settling their lawsuit with MLB Properties, specifically, UD getting their butts (along with their gut, kneecaps, and a couple of shins) handed to them.

As a Topps collector, it would be easy for me to say that I enjoy watching UD getting what's been long overdue to them, but you know, in a way, I feel bad. (I know, I'll get over it). I had a post written for this before, but after reading the comments at dayf's blog, I deleted it and am now starting over with this one.

Here is what I wrote:

"While I do admit I enjoy watching UD digging themselves a deeper hole in the ground, I do think that the comment by MLB was stupid. Just as stupid as UD claiming victory during the Konami settlement. The only confusion I see is that UD should have been allowed within their 17 product limit in 2009 to keep the logos and whatever other nonsense in the two "2009" products, and start the "new era" with their 2010 base set. Otherwise, you might as well have considered these 2010 products and UD should have marketed them as such.

"You have to admit that UD knowingly and willingly set themselves up for this, and had to know that there would be repurcussions to their actions. Why didn't they show previews of their 2010 base product? Because they knew that if they put it (information) out there sooner, there'd be trouble (ie the OPC debacle last year).

"As a Topps collector, I disagree that laziness will come now that Topps has full reign on the MLB card world in the forseeable future."

I mean, sure Topps will create some clunkers, but it's only in the eye of the beholder. I've read differing opinions on having a scrub player having an autographed card in this year's Topps Heritage, one complaining about it, one saying that how often could you get an auto of this player, this is awesome. Nobody's wrong as both are giving their opinion. Please let's understand the difference between facts and opinion.

Here is how I look at it. Work with me on the analogy.

Go to any clothing store. Find in your mind the worst looking outfit ever. You wonder why there are more than one of those horrible outfits on the rack? Because another guy, five minutes ago, thought that the same outfit you find hideous is the greatest looking piece of clothing EVER!!! He (or she) had to have the outfit.

Same thing with the baseball cards. Now I'm not saying that all of Topps products are gold. They've had a lot of stinkers over time. But many have been hits. And Topps has been riding them for all its worth. While some think it's tired (I mean, how many retro products are left for Topps to exploit), I think they're great. And I know I'm not the only one who thinks the same way.

Back to the UD mess. I'm not a player collector, so getting every card of my player isn't a priority. I'm not a team collector, even if I loyalty lies with a certain National League team in Chicago. As I don't collect cards that are big hits, autos, relics, patches, or what have you, I don't really concern myself over many products, regardless of who made the cards.

And if UD does wind up going away for good, I'm not really going to miss them. I am honestly satisfied with Topps being the exclusive company for MLB baseball cards as my collecting tastes are simple. In fact, I'm hoping that the NFL and NHL change their minds and re-sign Topps. Not because I collect either sport, but because it just seems right for there to be Topps cards of players from both leagues.

I do wish UD the best and maybe they'll find a way to make baseball cards, even with the restrictions that they agreed upon with MLB Properties. I just doubt they'll be the innovative wonders that the CEO of the soon-to-be-doomed company says they'll be.

In the meantime, I'm going to focus on completing the sets I need to complete, and be happy when I finally do so. If anybody asks, and I know that it's come up. If it was the other way around, and it was Topps that was getting theirs, I would be a total wreck.

But they're not. So life goes on.

Sincerely,

JayBee Anama

No comments: