The MLB managers have spoken, and today, Topps has announced the players named to the 51st All-Star Rookie Team!!! (If the player's name is in bold, it means I predicted that they would make the team back in October).
- 1B: Travis Ishikawa, San Francisco Giants (.261 batting average, 9 HR 39 RBI, 2009 stats)
- 2B: Chris Getz, Chicago White Sox (.261, 2, 31)
- 3B: Gordon Beckham, Chicago White Sox (.270, 14, 63)
- SS: Elvis Andrus, Texas Rangers (.267, 6, 40)
- OF: Chris Coghlan, Florida Marlins (.321, 9, 47)
- OF: Andrew McCutchen, Pittsburgh Pirates (.286, 12, 54)
- OF: Nolan Reimold, Baltimore Orioles (.279, 15, 45)
- C: Omir Santos, New York Mets (.260, 7, 40)
- RHP: Tommy Hanson, Atlanta Braves (11-4, 2.89 ERA, 116 K's,)
- LHP: J. A. Happ, Philadelphia Phillies (12-4, 2.93 ERA, 119 K's)
That Santos pick came out of nowhere. He wasn't even a blip on MLB's rookie tracker radar. Could it be because of the Wieters exclusive with Razor and Upper Deck? Could this be why Hideki Matsui was not part of the 2003 Topps All-Star Rookie team??? Let the conspiracy theories flow!!!
So congratulations to all. Each player will now get the illustrious rookie cup trophy (pictured above) added to their 2010 Topps cards. And about that trophy. Instead of gold, it's now a silver cup, with the words "Topps All Star" on the cup, and the word "ROOKIE" on the base. Brand new decade, brand new rookie cup.
P.S. I will go over the entries this evening to see if there was a winner in my contest. To all who participated, good luck to you. jba