Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I'm Perusing the Bay and What Do I "CC"???

As I was going through the cards I had, along with the ones already scanned on the blogs, I noticed that the usual airbrushing/photoshopping that had occurred with previous Series I cards was not as prevalent in this year's edition. I mean, for example, CC Sabathia's press conference upon signing with the Yankees should have given Topps the opportunity to make a Yankee card of him, instead of a Brewers card.

Alas, I saw a number of CC (he doesn't like the periods in his name apparently) cards depicting him as a Brewer (like this one below from the Junkie). Which was nice. After all, he played for Milwaukee last year, and these cards should be a reminder of the season prior. Plus, it does look awkward to see him depicted as a member of one team, and then to look on the back and see that he played for another team the year before. I mean, it's not a traded card, so...


Okay, back to the point. Perusing the Bay for an affordable 2009 Topps Master set (I'm still buying a Hobby box, I just want to save me the agony, plus the money in the event I go after the 18 short printed cards...wait...)


What??! He's in a Yankee's uni already??!

Ladies and gentlemen, here is 2009's unannounced SP/gimmick card #2. CC Sabathia as a Yankee. Make that 19 SP cards to chase (if you're into that sort of thing...) I'll give this another week. Hopefully SOMEBODY will have an idea of what's going on. And, for that matter, how many more of these are we to expect??!

Sincerely,

JayBee Anama

6 comments:

dayf said...

Nice ... I'm going to let all this stuff work itself out over the next week before I actually review the Topps set. I'm sure there's more besides CC and Obama.

Anonymous said...

Nice and informative article.

TDLindgren said...

Who else besides me thinks Topps is going to make it an even 20 SP's? :)

The Drizz said...

i wish gerald laird had a gimmick sp where he's in a tiger uni instead of still being a ranger!

The Drizz said...

dayf's got the right idea. sellers on ebay are trying to cash in on the initial frenzy. 'bout a week or so it'll be so flooded w/ 09 topps you'll be able to pick up whatever u want for cheap.

Anonymous said...

I was just wondering were can or if I find a checklist of the 2009 Topps SP's?