To which I thought I should respond, seeing that nobody else has ever asked this before.
Twenty people took me up on the challenge to out-guess me in the ASRT contest. Three people picked the same 12 players on their ballots, and none matched my picks completely player by player. Four players were unanimous picks.
So without further ado, here are the final tallies. If the readers of this blog decided the 2012 Topps All-Star Rookie Team, the players to be honored with a rookie cup on one of their cards would be:
- First Baseman: Anthony Rizzo, Cubs (11 votes)
- Second Baseman: Steve Lombardozzi, Nationals (19)
- Third Baseman: Todd Frazier, Reds (16)
- Shortstop: Zack Cozart, Reds (20)
- Outfielder: Yoenis Cespedes, Athletics (21, unanimous pick)
- Outfielder: Bryce Harper, Nationals (21, unanimous pick)
- Outfielder: Mike Trout, Angels (21, unanimous pick)
- Catcher: Wilin Rosario, Rockies (19)
- Right-Handed Starting Pitcher: Yu Darvish, Rangers (21, unanimous pick)
- Left-Handed Starting Pitcher: Wade Miley, Diamondbacks (14)
- Right-Handed Relief Pitcher: Ryan Cook, Athletics (13)
- Left-Handed Relief Pitcher: Rex Brothers, Rockies (9)
- 1B: Yonder Alonso, Padres (7); Matt Carpenter, Cardinals (3)
- 2B: Jason Kipnis, Indians (1); Donovan Solano, Marlins (1)
- 3B: Wil Middlebrooks, Red Sox (5)
- SS: Pete Kozma, Cardinals (1)
- C: Jesus Montero, Mariners (2)
- LHSP: Wei-Yin Chen, Orioles (2), Tommy Milone, Athletics (2), Scott Diamond, Twins (1), Matt Moore, Rays (1), Drew Pomeranz, Rockies (1)
- RHRP: Addison Reed, White Sox (6), Jim Henderson, Brewers (1), Tom Wilhemsen, Mariners (1)
- LHRP: Robbie Ross, Rangers (7), Hector Santiago, White Sox (5)
- In 2009, as it had been since 1959, there were two pitchers on the team: one right-handed pitcher and one left-handed pitcher.
- In 2010, thanks to what I call the "Strasburg rule," Topps' ASRT included three pitchers: a right-handed starter, a left-handed starter, and a reliever, regardless of what arm he used to pitch.
- In 2011, there were only two pitchers named to the team, one starting pitcher and one relief pitcher.