I knew it existed. I knew they had a lot of cards that I needed. Yet, I never had thought of actually buying from Check Out My Cards .com (or comc.com).
Maybe it was because I thought you had to be a member to buy cards from their site (you don't). Maybe it was because I thought you had to sell cards on the site to buy cards from their site (you don't). Whatever it was, I thought I wasn't able to purchase cards from comc.com.
So what made me decide to finally take the plunge? I had read somewhere (I don't know if it was on twitter, facebook, a message board, something) that they had just re-designed their site. So I was curious and looked. I'm sure there were massive changes to the website's design (at least the logo was different). But then I started looking at cards. Then, I became curious about some of the cards that I had on my want list and decided to look for them on the site. Lo and behold, there they were...and the prices were kind of reasonable. Oh, what's this, a cart? Why not. So I started placing cards I wanted into this virtual shopping cart.
After thirty minutes, I had 35 cards in my cart and the total price started to climb higher. I decided to stop there and "check out." They take PayPal? Great. And just like that, I became a customer of comc.com.
So what exactly did I buy?
Let's start with:
- Fifteen 2010 Target Red Backs (2) and Walmart Blue Backs (13)
- Six 2009 Topps Hobby Factory Exclusive Rookie Cards (the other four are now added onto the wantlist) that would have otherwise never see the light of day...EVER!!!
- The last five 2009 Topps MLB Legends SP cards. I now have all 61 SP'd cards from the 2009 set.
- Two 2009 Topps Target Exclusive Legends of the Game Cards (now just need one more...the Nolan Ryan #LLG25 to complete this entire series).
- Four 2012 Topps MLB SP cards. Just missing the DiMaggio, these are probably the only 2012 Topps SP cards I want...other than the Pujols and Reyes cards from Series 1 and the first seven Update Series SSP's.
- One 2011 Topps Sticker of Jacoby Ellsbury (need four more)
- One 2010 Topps SP Hank Greenberg #1b. I would have liked to buy more, but the price was getting too high. This was the last card I bought last week.
- I lied. I finally have my Balut card from 2012 Topps Allen & Ginter.
Great haul. It really made a dent in my wantlist. And now that I know I have other options, I think I'll start saving up for some other cards that have been taking up space on the sidebar. We'll see. To the fine people at COMC, thank you very much.