Monday, March 22, 2010

Why I Don't Think I'll Be Winning An Upper Deck Award Anytime Soon...

...I mean, what's the name of this blog again???
 
It's been the talk of the blogosphere in the last couple of hours.  That other card company has decided to honor those who have promoted the Hobby online with, hold on while I try and word this properly...the Upper Deck Awards
 
The intentions are pretty clear.  As the major card companies have finally decided to get on the social media bandwagon (via twitter, facebook, and so forth), the boys and girls at UD have decided to open nominations to find the best Hobby bloggers, video box breakers, and online Hobby communities, and the best of each will be honored in their UD Community page (and possibly a boost to the winning site's readership/membership), as well as in other places. 
 
Well that's all fine and dandy.  But wouldn't it be funny if some one actually nominated THIS SITE to their awards program???
 
Granted, the nomination, and possibly the person doing the nominating (which I swear won't be me), will probably be tossed out faster than a Nolan Ryan fastball. But I think in the spirit of self promotion, this site would probably be the last site UD would want to consider for a blog-of-the-year type award.  Not only because there are better blogs out there than this humble little blog, but the name of this blog alone would send alarms blaring in Carlsbad, CA.
 
And while I'm not really suggesting that you start nominating this one-trick dog-and-pony-show for best blog ever (although that would be nice...really), I would recommend nominating the Sports Card Blogroll, if anything, for bringing the best of the Hobby Blogging Community together in one easy-to-find spot.  All the links are active (within the last six months or so anyway), so there are no abandoned blogs on it.  And with 283 blogs on the roster, and many more popping up almost on a weekly basis, there could be 300+ sites being linked to it by the end of the year.  You're not going to find that many ACTIVE sites on anybody's blog.  That's for sure.
 
I know that a couple of bloggers are already putting out their résumés as to why they should be picked for best blog.  And good luck to them.  The results will be announced some time in April. 
 
But "friendship for life" on this blog will be duly noted for anybody who would actually admit to sending a nomination to UD for either the big blogroll or bdj610's Topps Baseball Card Blog for an Upper Deck Award.

Sincerely,

JayBee Anama


Hotmail: Trusted email with powerful SPAM protection. Sign up now.

4 comments:

Mariner1 said...

I just nominated the blogroll on their facebook page. Fingers crossed, let's see what happens.

Steve Gierman said...

I know I won't win and I doubt I'll even be nominated, so you won't be seeing me wax poetic about it. I do think it would be funny if a Topps blog won it though. :)

cynicalbuddha said...

i know I won't be winning anything either especially with all the negative comments I put on their face book page. But i also nominated the blogroll. It's like my morning paper. Only it's about stuff I like and it usually doesn't make me depressed.

unclemoe said...

Guess my Topps blog won't win anything either. Sad face.

moe.