For the second year in a row, Topps is allowing fans and collectors to select the first card in their eponymous set. Unlike last year, where there were 34 players in the initial poll, including a representative from each major league team, and then a final five balloting to select the subject for #1, this time, a pool of 16 players have been chosen and there will be only one voting period.
The players for this year's ballot:
- Adrian Beltre, Texas Rangers
- Mookie Betts, Boston Red Sox
- Kris Bryant, Chicago Cubs
- Miguel Cabrera, Detroit Tigers
- Carlos Correa, Houston Astros
- Josh Donaldson, Toronto Blue Jays
- Bryce Harper, Washington Nationals
- Clayton Kershaw, Los Angeles Dodgers
- Francisco Lindor, Cleveland Indians
- Manny Machado, Baltimore Orioles
- Yadier Molina, St. Louis Cardinals
- David Ortiz, Boston Red Sox
- Buster Posey, San Francisco Giants
- Gary Sanchez, New York Yankees
- Corey Seager, Los Angeles Dodgers
- Mike Trout, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (and last year's #1)
Now having fewer players in the pool is fine, and I can see now who would be the favorites (cough...Trout...cough), and Ortiz is a good sentimental pick (maybe save him for a double zero number). My vote is for Bryant if only because...well...you know.
Want to vote? Click here.
October is usually a busy month for this humble, little blog. End of Year All-Star Team selections will be forthcoming (after I post who were on the teams in 2015), and the comparisons between the 1996 and 2016 MLB debut classes.