Sunday, January 18, 2015

I've Lost Count of How Many Cards I Own!!! Time for a Card Census!!!



I am a very proud Topps Baseball Card Collector. (If you've heard me spew out the resumé, bear with me please).

I own every base and traded Topps baseball card from 1976 through 2014 Topps Update Series. I also own many assorted sets, including:
  • 1983-1990 Topps All-Star Glossy Send-in Sets
  • 1984-1991 Topps All-Star Glossy Sets
  • 1984-1991 Topps All-Star Glossy Rookie Sets
  • 1984-1986 Topps Super
  • 1986-1990 Topps Mini Leaders
  • 1988-1990 Topps Big
  • 1990-1992 Topps Major League Debut
  • 1995 Topps D3
  • 1997 Topps Screenplays
  • 2001 Topps Archives
  • 2002 Topps Archives: The Best Years
  • 2003 Topps Shoebox Collection
  • 2003-2005 Topps All-Time Fan Favorites
  • 2001-2002 Topps 206 (Series 1-3)
  • 2002-2003 Topps 205 (Series 1-2)
  • 2003 Topps Cracker Jack
  • 2004 Topps Cracker Jack
  • 2005 Topps Hot Button
  • 2005 Topps Rookie Cup
  • 2005-2006 Topps Turkey Red
  • 2006-2014 Topps Allen & Ginter's
  • 2006-2014 Topps Retail Team Sets (all 30 sets from 2006, 32 since 2011)
  • 2007 Topps Turkey Red
  • 2009-2010 Topps 206
  • 2010 Topps National Chicle
  • 2010-2014 Topps Pro Debut
  • 2011-2014 Topps Gypsy Queen
  • 2012-2013 Topps Archives
I also am the proud owner of many complete insert sets that were included with Topps eponymous baseball card sets. Now, inserts have been around forever, but they really began to take prominence after the strike in 1994. I have most, if not all, of the insert sets from 1996 through 2014, and those I do not have complete cards of, I am or will be working on soon, like the
  • 2014 Topps All-Star Access
  • 2014 Topps Future Stars that Never Were
  • 2010 Blue Backs
  • 2003 Topps Nolan Ryan No Hitter Record Breakers
  • 2005 Topps Barry Bonds MVP
  • 2010-2011 Topps Legends Short-prints
  • see the want lists on the right-hand side for more
Now I have a problem.

I used to have a spreadsheet that kept track of the number of cards I have in my collection.

I have now lost that spreadsheet. I don't know why, I don't know how, but all I know is that it is lost, and I can't find it.

So there is only one thing left to do:  Start the count from scratch.

Which actually may be a good thing. Why?

Because since I started the new job, I have not really spent time in the basement where my collection is. Now forget the fact that I didn't really put much time into the blog in 2014 because of the new gig, but my collection seemed to have been ignored.

Not anymore.

I am re-setting the official count of my collection to ZERO, and am going to spend 2015 not only increasing my ever growing collection, but I'm going to take a count of the number of cards I have and, more specifically, WHAT cards I actually have.

Now, this total won't count the cards that are in boxes that I would like to use to trade, sell, give away, etc. This is for the cards that I consider a part of my collection.

I'll probably go down the line, album by album and take a headcount. And on the way, we'll know for sure exactly what I have in my collection. I don't plan on taking all year to do this, hopefully a couple of months (when I have some free time). I'll post updated numbers on the blog.

So let's set the number of cards at zero...

And let's get to work.

Sincerely,

JayBee Anama

11 comments:

Billy Kingsley said...

The Trading Card Database would be really helpful in this situation.

My count is not quite right on there as I have not posted everything yet, but the grand total, even of what I've listed, is higher than I expected it to be.

One of my goals for 2015 is to get an accurate count for my own collection. I have detailed records, but not for everything.

Sooz said...

Good luck. This happened to me with my Jeter cards, and that was only 2,000 cards. I imagine this will be healthy project.

Unknown said...

I found your post today on the 2004 Topps Traded and Rookies Checklists puzzle cards. The picture you posted has Kenny Lofton on it. Could you tell me what the number is for that card? I collect Kenny Lofton cards and do not know which card he is on. I'm still trying to track that one down for my collection. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, John.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bru said...

Found your blog today thanks to a post at 2x3 Heroes. This'll be quite an undertaking!

Like Billy said, the Trading Card Database is pretty darn useful. If you're going the spreadsheet route, might as well keep a copy of it in Google sheets, too. I've used that to build sheets for my wantlists, player collections, and TTM autograph hunting.

The Junior Junkie said...

Oh, no! I've been considering doing this with the Griffeys for a while. I'm certain the count is not 100% accurate anymore. Human error - a card here, a card there. It adds up.

Here's to a more accurate card count for you!

Anonymous said...

Hey JB - Do you know much about the Nolan Ryan RB inserts? I can't find anything about them. I've read that they are 1:2 in s2 HTA Jumbo boxes, but I opened one and that is definitely not the case.

Charlie said...

Hey JB - Do you know much about the Nolan Ryan RB inserts? I can't find anything about them. I've read that they are 1:2 in s2 HTA Jumbo boxes, but I opened one and that is definitely not the case.

Anonymous said...

Hey JB - Do you know much about the Nolan Ryan RB inserts? I can't find anything about them. I've read that they are 1:2 in s2 HTA Jumbo boxes, but I opened one and that is definitely not the case.

Anonymous said...

Hey JB - Do you know much about the Nolan Ryan RB inserts? I can't find anything about them. I've read that they are 1:2 in s2 HTA Jumbo boxes, but I opened one and that is definitely not the case.

(Charlie from Lifetime Topps - not sure why, but nothing but anonymous is letting me post)

Anonymous said...

How is the count going?