Take a look at what we get to look forward to just a bit after the 2015 baseball season gets underway:
Wait, wasn't the S1 sell sheet 10 pages? This is only 7.
Series 2 also contains 350 cards, meaning that the base set now stands at 700 cards, the first time the base set has surpassed 660 since 2006. That's 40 more players (possibly) getting cardboard love (that, or it's a 40-card retrospective of Derek Jeter's career...in the base set...don't quote me on it). Gold, Rainbow foil, Snow Camouflage, Black, Pink, Framed, Clear, Red, Blue, Platinum, and other color parallels will be thrown in for those who love that sort of thing.
I'm starting to like the look of the base cards. While it isn't a white bordered set (the first since 2003), it looks like each player's card will utilize his team's base colors. I can't wait to see these cards up close:
Of the six insert sets being included with Series 2, only one carries over from the first, that being the Highlight of the Year set (30 cards). The rest are new for 2015, and they focus on more on baseball's history (maybe that's the theme for 2015 as I don't really see anything close to a unifying idea):
- Eclipsing History (15 cards), record breakers. The two-player card features the player that set the record, and then the guy that broke it.
- Heart of the Order (20 cards), featuring sluggers and the players who bat in front of and behind him.
- Stepping Up (20 cards), clutch moments...another baseball history concept
- 'Til It's Over (15 cards). Taking the famous line from Yogi, "It Ain't Over 'Til It's Over" this set features "Legendary comebacks."
- Baseball Royalty (25 cards) is a Hobby and Hobby jumbo pack exclusive (translation, you're not going to find these at your big box store). This year's edition of the legends set.
With all of the off-season transactions, it will be interesting to see many of the players with their new teams. It kind of makes sense to do this in Series 2, not so much in Series 1. Of course, they could just save it all for the Update set. Which, if we follow the timing of the release of the first two series' sell sheets, we will probably see previews for some time in March.