Tuesday, December 8, 2009

bdj610's End of Year MLB All-Star Teams: 1994 Edition

It's been fun looking back at the All-Star Teams I made up when I was younger. But now the years start flying by. I was only in sixth grade when I made my first pair of teams. By the time I named my 1994 End of the Year All-Star Teams, I was in college. I was learning how to enjoy this new found independence. I was going to class, then going to work, then going to class again. It was a very busy time in my life because I was on my own...a LOT! Somehow, even with all the chaos going on around me during my freshman year of college, I still made time for the Hobby. And because I was working, I didn't have to rely on mom and dad for cash. I was a regular at the local 7-Eleven, buying my Wall Street Journal (for business management class) and on Wednesdays, my Baseball Weekly magazine. Baseball took a backseat at this time of my life, which was just as well because the World Series was cancelled. So my 1994 All-Star teams once again are made up of many of the players who participated in the midsummer classic in Pittsburgh in July plus others that filled the rest of the positions.

This year's teams include 10 pitchers on each team (six starters, four closers), and the usual 3 players per position (1b, 2b, 3b, ss, c, 9 of), and because the 1995 ASG would be in Texas (at the year-old The Ballpark in Arlington), each team included a DH. So the rosters were expanded back to 35 players per team.

Let's cut to the chase. Without further ado, for the first time online, I am proud to introduce my 1994 End of Year MLB All-Star Teams (in alphabetical order by position):

(No more mentioning about the blank space at the end...deal with it!)
















American League

First Basemen

  • Will Clark, Rangers
  • Frank Thomas, White Sox
  • Mo Vaughn, Red Sox*

Second Basemen

  • Roberto Alomar, Blue Jays
  • Carlos Baerga, Indians
  • Chuck Knoblauch, Twins

Third Basemen

  • Wade Boggs, Yankees
  • Scott Cooper, Red Sox
  • Travis Fryman, Tigers

Shortstops

  • Felix Fermin, Mariners
  • Cal Ripken, Orioles
  • Omar Vizquel, Indians

Outfielders

  • Albert Belle, Indians
  • Joe Carter, Blue Jays
  • Chili Davis, Angels*
  • Ken Griffey, Jr., Mariners
  • Kenny Lofton, Indians*
  • Paul O'Neill, Yankees
  • Kirby Puckett, Twins
  • Tim Salmon, Angels
  • Ruben Sierra, Athletics

Catchers

  • Chris Hoiles, Orioles
  • Ivan Rodriguez, Rangers
  • Mickey Tettleton, Tigers

Designated Hitter:

  • Paul Molitor, Blue Jays

Pitchers

  • Bobby Ayala, Mariners*
  • Ricky Bones, Brewers*
  • David Cone, Royals
  • Dennis Eckersley, Athletics
  • Pat Hentgen, Blue Jays
  • Randy Johnson, Mariners
  • Jimmy Key, Yankees
  • Jeff Montgomery, Royals
  • Mike Mussina, Orioles
  • Lee Smith, Orioles

Manager:

  • Buck Showalter, Yankees

The Starters:

  • 1B: Thomas
  • 2B: Alomar
  • 3B: Boggs
  • SS: Ripken
  • OF: Carter
  • OF: Griffey, Jr.
  • OF: Puckett
  • C: Rodriguez
  • DH: Molitor
  • P: Key

*First-Time All-Star


National League

First Basemen

  • Jeff Bagwell, Astros*
  • Gregg Jefferies, Cardinals
  • Fred McGriff, Braves

Second Basemen

  • Craig Biggio, Astros
  • Carlos Garcia, Pirates*
  • Bip Roberts, Padres

Third Basemen

  • Ken Caminiti, Astros*
  • Charlie Hayes, Rockies*
  • Matt Williams, Giants

Shortstops

  • Wil Cordero, Expos*
  • Barry Larkin, Reds
  • Ozzie Smith, Cardinals

Outfielders

  • Moises Alou, Expos*
  • Dante Bichette, Rockies*
  • Barry Bonds, Giants
  • Brett Butler, Dodgers
  • Jeff Conine, Marlins*
  • Marquis Grissom, Expos
  • Tony Gwynn, Padres
  • David Justice, Braves
  • Sammy Sosa, Cubs

Catchers

  • Darrin Fletcher, Expos*
  • Joe Girardi, Rockies*
  • Mike Piazza, Dodgers

Designated Hitter:

  • Kevin Mitchell, Reds

Pitchers

  • Rod Beck, Giants
  • Doug Drabek, Astros*
  • Tom Glavine, Braves
  • Ken Hill, Expos*
  • Danny Jackson, Phillies
  • Doug Jones, Phillies
  • Greg Maddux, Braves
  • Randy Myers, Cubs
  • Bret Saberhagen, Mets
  • John Wetteland, Expos

Manager:

  • Davey Johnson, Reds

The Starters:

  • 1B: Bagwell
  • 2B: Biggio
  • 3B: Williams
  • SS: Smith
  • OF: Bonds
  • OF: Gwynn
  • OF: Justice
  • C: Piazza
  • DH: Mitchell
  • P: Maddux







Seventeen players are first-time all-stars (5 for the American League, 12 for the Nationals). One-person teams on my 1994 rosters include the Brewers (Bones), White Sox (Thomas), Marlins (Conine), Mets (Saberhagen), and Pirates (Garcia). The Expos send six representatives to the NL roster, leading both leagues (So much for Chicago bias this year). The Blue Jays, Indians, Mariners, Orioles, Astros, and Braves each send four players to their respective squads.
As always, seven regular games (10,000 simulations each, six with the same starting pitchers, one where lineups and starting pitchers change), and one All-Star Game will be simulated during the course of the week. I hope to have the results of all the games by the end of the week.

Now it's time for me to create the .DAT files before getting the games set. Game results coming next week.

Sincerely,

JayBee Anama

1 comment:

Dan said...

I think the big space with the tables has to do with the html coding of the table in the post. If you go to the edit html tab while writing the post, there will probably be a lot of "div" and "/div" tags all over it. If you delete those, the space should shrink.

That being said, I'm enjoying this series a lot. I love nostalgia.