Tuesday, October 9, 2012

bdj610’s 2012 End of Year MLB All-Star Teams…The Final Rosters

After pouring over stats and arguing with myself as to who deserves to be on the team, I have finally finished completing my 36-man teams. I think I can say with confidence that the players who made my All-Star Teams were worthy of inclusion, not just because many of them are major superstars, but because their statistics were high enough above their peers that made them stand out from the rest.

So, without further ado, here are the players who made my 2012 MLB End of Year All-Star Teams (in alphabetical order by position):

American League

First Basemen
  • Chris Davis, Orioles
  • Prince Fielder, Tigers
  • Albert Pujols, Angels
Second Basemen
  • Robinson Cano, Yankees
  • Ian Kinsler, Rangers
  • Dustin Pedroia, Red Sox
Third Basemen
  • Adrian Beltre, Rangers
  • Miguel Cabrera, Tigers
  • Kyle Seager, Mariners
Shortstops
  • Elvis Andrus, Rangers
  • Asdrubal Cabrera, Indians
  • Derek Jeter, Yankees
Outfielders
  • Alex Gordon, Royals
  • Curtis Granderson, Yankees
  • Josh Hamilton, Rangers
  • Adam Jones, Orioles
  • Josh Reddick, Athletics
  • Mike Trout, Angels
  • Mark Trumbo, Angels
  • Josh Willingham, Athletics
  • Ben Zobrist, Rays
Catchers
  • Joe Mauer, Twins
  • A. J. Pierzynski, White Sox
  • Carlos Santana, Indians
Designated Hitter
  • Edwin Encarnacion, Blue Jays
Pitchers
  • Ryan Cook, Athletics
  • Matt Harrison, Rangers
  • Felix Hernandez, Mariners
  • Jim Johnson, Orioles
  • Joe Nathan, Rangers
  • David Price, Rays
  • Fernando Rodney, Rays
  • Chris Sale, White Sox
  • Rafael Soriano, Yankees
  • Justin Verlander, Tigers
  • Jered Weaver, Angels

National League

First Basemen
  • Freddie Freeman, Braves
  • Adam LaRoche, Nationals
  • Joey Votto, Reds
Second Basemen
  • Jose Altuve, Astros
  • Aaron Hill, Diamondbacks
  • Brandon Phillips, Reds
Third Basemen
  • Chase Headley, Padres
  • Aramis Ramirez, Brewers
  • David Wright, Mets
Shortstops
  • Starlin Castro, Cubs
  • Jose Reyes, Marlins
  • Jimmy Rollins, Phillies
Outfielders
  • Carlos Beltran, Cardinals
  • Ryan Braun, Brewers
  • Carlos Gonzalez, Rockies
  • Jason Heyward, Braves
  • Matt Kemp, Dodgers
  • Jason Kubel, Diamondbacks
  • Andrew McCutchen, Pirates
  • Alfonso Soriano Cubs
  • Giancarlo Stanton, Marlins
Catchers
  • Yadier Molina, Cardinals
  • Buster Posey, Giants
  • Carlos Ruiz, Phillies
Designated Hitter
  • Matt Holliday, Cardinals
Pitchers
  • Mitchell Boggs, Cardinals
  • Matt Cain, Giants
  • Aroldis Chapman, Reds
  • Johnny Cueto, Reds
  • R. A. Dickey, Mets
  • Gio Gonzalez, Nationals
  • Cole Hamels, Phillies
  • Clayton Kershaw, Dodgers
  • Craig Kimbrel, Braves
  • Jason Motte, Cardinals
  • Jonathan Papelbon, Phillies
Most of the position players were chosen based on statistics comparing the top eight position players in each league (hits, runs, home runs, rbi's, walks, strikeouts, stolen bases, caught stealing, and batting average). In most cases, the players I had chosen earlier due to the one person per team rule made the top three.

In previous years, I tended to show a little more bias to Chicago players (on both sides) in cases where if I thought I could choose them over another person, I would (hey, I'm from Chicago, what can I say). But since I'm now announcing these publicly (compared to doing this privately in my mind), I thought I'd try to be as open minded as I can and pick the proper deserving players. And it hurt, really hurt.  I would have loved to add both Paul Konerko and Adam Dunn to the AL side, and Darwin Barney to the NL side, but just couldn't fit either of the three.  There are two White Sox players on the AL team this year (Pierzynski and Sale), there are two Cubs players on the NL side (Castro and Soriano). Other one-person teams this year include the Blue Jays (Encarnacion), Red Sox (Pedroia), Royals (Gordon), Astros (Altuve), Padres (Headley), Pirates (McCutchen), and Rockies (Carlos Gonzalez). The Rangers send six players to the AL squad, most players from one team on either league, the Angels and Yankees each send four. On the NL side, the Cardinals have five players to the team, most in the NL, the Phillies and Reds each send four.

Lots of familiar names to recent All-Star Teams are absent this year. There is no A-Rod, no Ichiro, no Longoria, no Hanley, et al. Changing of the guard perhaps? Probably. There are 25 players on both rosters making my All-Star teams for the very first time.

Are there snubs? You bet. On the AL, as mentioned before, the DH spot was an issue, only because I only allow one spot on the roster for it. David Ortiz had his usual great year, and so did Adam Dunn.  If I allowed three DH's, both certainly would be listed above. Probably the biggest surprise on either roster was the inclusion of Mariners third baseman Kyle Seager.  The twenty-four year-old infielder had more home runs than ARod (20 to 18), more RBI's (86 to 57), and struck out less (110 to 116).  Yes, ARod played less games, but the intangibles favored Seager than the other six third baseman who were in the running for the final third baseman's spot.  In the shortstop position, both real All-Stars Jeter and Cabrera are here. Alcides Escobar, Alexei Ramirez, Erick Aybar, J. J. Hardy, Mike Aviles, Jhonny Peralta, and Andrus among others were put to the statistical comparison described above. And once again, Elvis scored the highest.

There were six outfield positions filled due to the one-man requirement on the NL Side (Kubel, Soriano, CGonzalez, Stanton, Braun, and McCutchen). Beltran had an incredible year for the Cardinals and was an automatic pick (I think there'd be protests if I didn't have him on). Kemp may have been out for a good portion of the year, but he had better numbers than most with full seasons.  Jason Heyward bounced back from a subpar 2011 season.  Jay Bruce, Justin Upton, Allen Craig, Angel Pagan, or Dexter Fowler were considered as well.

So ends the presentation for my 2012 End of Year MLB All-Star Teams. Please feel free to comment, debate, tell me that I did a good job, or that I don't know what I'm talking about and should have put in this person for another.

Later on, I will run the simulations, just like I did last off-season, for these teams to see which one is better. I am still working on the simulations for my All-Star Team tournament (which can be found here) to determine which of my All-Star teams are the best of All-Time. It will give me something to do before the 2013 Topps cards come out. Hopefully, this can be accomplished without major headaches.

Let the debates continue.

Sincerely,

JayBee Anama