Monday, December 29, 2008

I Caved In...I Had No Choice...

PayPal and Facebook...two sites I never wanted to join...but...

Because of the new eBay rules of paperless transactions, I realized that if I were to continue buying and selling on the Bay, I had no choice but to sign up for their online payment service, PayPal. It has been a decision I've been dreading since the beginning of my online career (scared of all the bad stuff that I had read about on message boards ad nauseum, and all the bad seemed to outweigh the good, even though I never gave it the chance to try it myself). But now with them putting the hammer down on checks and mailing payments, I caved. I now have a PayPal account. So for friend of the blog Big Daddy, who wondered why if I spent so much on the "Infamous Series II Six" that I have not yet plunked down some money on the Palin cards (which had apparently dropped in price significantly...) that's why.

Also, after beating myself to death with the decision and after I was somehow gifted with it, I am now joining a site that I thought I would never use in my lifetime...Facebook. That's right. I'm joining the community. Hoping that it would add a bit more exposure to the humble little blog in the coming year, I've now assimilated with the Borg...I mean Facebook populace. Resistance is futile I guess. I am going to see how well this works. I'm not about to try and find people that I have not contacted since high school or college, but I'll see where this goes and hopefully it will do wonders for my readership. Besides, my wife was invited to register as an Avon representative. So I thought I'd try it out and see if it's worth it for her to join as well.

So, coming in 2009, a more modernized version of bdj610 (and there was much rejoicing. "Yay!")

(now looking for those darn Palin cards that Big Daddy was talking about...)

Sincerely,

JayBee Anama

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have had zero problems with Paypal, through well over 1000 transactions.

The best advice I can offer you is to read everything you can, and double check when you aren't sure of things.

There is lots of negative material out there, but I think its because of the natural tendancy to be loud when things go poorly, and keep quiet when things are going the way they should.

night owl said...

I'm behind the curve, too. Paypal I can see myself doing someday soon. Facebook? I think I would have had to have hit my head to do that. But you never know.

Scott C. said...

Welcome to the collective! I'll echo thehamiltonian - I've had zero problems with Paypal (and Ebay in general) for over four years of transactions. I find it to be easy, painless and safe (if you pay attention - I've seen at least three or four scam attempts). As for Facebook, I think that's something that I'm just too old to understand. I joined (and still maintain) Myspace a couple of years ago, but I really get very little out of it. The most that I use it for is to listen to new music when it gets released.

Big Daddy said...

I still have not purchased the Palin cards. I "have" to complete the Topps master set as you do, but I guess I just try to trade for them and I don't mind if cards sit on my wantlist for years... I did a quick ebay completed sale search to get the general sale prices and there seems to be still quite a few out there.

I have had Paypal for awhile now and never had a problem. Facebook...I just don't get. I tried a few times, found some old friends, but just can't get into it. My wife, on the other hand, is on Facebook 2 hours a day at least...

Michael O'Connor said...

Welcome to the brave new world. I've never had any trouble with Paypal. Quite the contrary, their customer service was first rate, the one time I had a question about a transaction with a dealer that disappeared. They even helped me find him. BTW, please wrap up all Ebay sales BEFORE you move across the country! Anyway, I've really enjoyed Facebook and I'm in my 40s. Found some old friends and I find it much easier to keep up with current ones. Also, since many of my college students no longer care much about email, I can find them on Facebook pretty quickly. Strange world, huh?