Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Pack Break Week 2013: Topps Series 1 and Topps Chrome Update Series

It's a cloudy day here in Deerfield, which means it's darker than usual here under the glass windows of the Atrium of the building where I work. The atrium is nice, it's where the people who work for the company I am presently gather for lunch. There is a cafeteria here with chefs preparing and serving hot meals for the employees who choose to eat here. Realistically, it's kind of hard to leave this area to find food as the nearest restaurants are more than 10 minutes away. So it's nice that the company provides this perk for their staff.

Before I get back to work, I think that now is as good a time as any to kick-off pack break week by opening a couple of packs that I have been saving for this occasion.


Today I will be opening a pack of 2013 Topps Series 1 and as a bonus, a 4-card pack of 2013 Topps Chrome Update Series that came in the Mega Box purchased at Meijer. Without further ado, here goes.
Enclosed, in order, is what appeared in my 12-card pack of Series 1 Topps:

  • #158 Chad Billingsley, Dodgers
  • #63 Justin Masterson, Indians
  • #150 John Danks, White Sox
  • #143 Jim Johnson, Orioles
  • #207 Matt Holliday, Cardinals
  • #284 Angel Pagan, Giants


  • #199 Avisail Garcia, Tigers RC
  • #261 Trevor Rosenthal, Cardinals RC
  • #TM-22 Andre Ethier, Dodgers, 1972 Topps Mini
  • #226 Derek Lowe, Yankees
  • #146 Kyle McClellan, Cardinals
  • #102 Denard Span, Twins


The first four cards provide a good starting rotation plus closer. Three Cardinals though...if I was in St. Louis, I'd be happy. No Cubs to speak of, but at least on White Sox card for local flavor.

Now for the bonus...the Chrome Update Series pack:


  • #MB-30 Bryce Harper, Nationals, Home Run Derby
  • #MB-21 Yu Darvish, Rangers, All-Star
  • #MB-13 Allen Craig, Cardinals, All-Star
  • #MB-5 Anthony Rendon, Nationals RC


Two All-Star cards plus Anthony Rendon. Not a bad pack. Now, the other thing I noticed is that the Chrome cards are a bit thicker than what has been used in recent years. The cards are not prone to bowing, so that's a plus for those who want to put the cards in a binder but not right away.

BASEBALL DAD, I saw the comment. Please e-mail me at bdj610@hotmail.com and I'll be more than happy to mail you the wrappers.

Tomorrow, I'll open the pack of 2013 Gypsy Queen.

Sincerely,

JayBee Anama

No comments: