- Official Card Set Name and Card Number: 1963 Topps #256.
- Player Name, position, team: Jerry Lumpe, second baseman, Kansas City Athletics.
- Major League Debut: April 17, 1956.
- Last Line of Statistics: 1962 stats (Athletics): 156 G, 641 AB, 89 R, 193 H, 34 2B, 10 3B, 10 HR, 83 RBI, .301 AVG.
- Any special information about player: Signed with the Yankees before the 1951 season. Traded by the Yankees to the Athletics 05/26/1959. Bats: left, Throws: right.
- Any special information about this specific card: Lumpe's sixth regular Topps card. Already mentioned with last week's Card of the Week, the famous 1963 Topps set features two pictures, one main large one, and the second a smaller picture in a frame. Lumpe is one of many players who went through the NY Yankees-KC Athletics pipeline in the late 50's - mid 60's. For more information about that, click on the post I wrote about Bob Cerv (one day, I'll finish the Topps Archives project...I have to, it's due in 2011). The back of his card shows that Lumpe left professional baseball for Military Service in 1954, and made it back, the following year. The cartoon above the stats reads that he finished second on the team in batting average in 1962.
- Lo-Hi Beckett value: $2.00-$5.00.
- How many cards of this player do I own?: 0 cards.
Well, it's back to normal on Monday. Tomorrow's card will be: 2005 Topps #628. Post will arrive at 1:00 PM CST. Come on back then to see what the Topps Card Randomizer gets us to look at then.