- Official Card Set Name and Card Number: 1986 Topps #662.
- Player Name, position, team: Bill Schroeder, catcher, Milwaukee Brewers.
- Major League Debut: July 13, 1983.
- Last Line of Statistics: 1985 stats (Brewers): 53G, 194 AB, 18 R, 47 H, 8 2B, 0 3B, 8 HR, 25 RBI, 0 SB, .407 SLG, 12 BB, 61 SO, .242 AVG.
- Any special information about player: Drafted by the Brewers #8th, June 1979. Bats: right. Throws: right.
- Number of regular Topps Cards (includes regular and traded cards only): 8. This is his third Topps card.
- Blurb on the back: "He collected 1st major league Hit: 7-13-83. First major league Home Run: 7-14-83. First big league Game-Winning RBI: 4-21-84. His first 2-HR major league game: 5-30-84."
- Commentary: I'm sure Topps could have come up with a better copy for the back of Alfred William Schroeder's 1986 Topps card. They could have said that he hit a triple in his major league debut against Texas and a home run the following day vs. the Twins. Something like that. Topps could have also picked a better picture for the front (anything but him looking down at his catcher's mitt...he doesn't even look to thrilled to be putting the darn thing on). But whatever works (it was 1985...long before the interwebs). Schroeder was a veteran of 8 major league seasons, used primarily as a backup/spot starter when the Brewers (later Angels) regular catcher would need a day off. In 1986, Schroeder would hit .212 with 7 home runs and 19 rbi's in 64 games. His next season would be his best, at .332, 14 homers, 42 runs driven in, and an OPS of .927. Not known for his speed, he'd steal 5 bases in 1987. Since retiring from the game, he has enjoyed a long career as a broadcaster, first as an analyst for a local Milwaukee baseball show, and then since 1994 as the color commentator for Milwaukee Brewers broadcasts on television.
- Lo-Hi Beckett value: $0.02-$0.10.
- How many cards of this player do I own?: 8 cards.
Tomorrow's card will be: 2006 Topps #630. Post will arrive at 1:00 PM CST. We're looking back at a card from 2006 here on the blog tomorrow.