- Official Card Set Name and Card Number: 1961 Topps #51.
- Team: 1960 Detroit Tigers.
- Last Line of Statistics: 1960 stats: Managers: Jimmy Dykes (44-52); Billy Hitchcock;(1-0); Joe Gordon (26-31), 71-83, .461 PCT., 26 GB, Sixth Place American League.
- Commentary: Hey, the Randomizer has picked another team card. And it's of a team that was so horrible the year prior that nobody would have picked them to win the AL the next. Well, the 1961 Tigers did not go on to win the American League pennant, but they sure made an improvement from the previous year. The Tigers finished in second place with a 101-61 record, 8 games behind the unstoppable Yankees, under new manager Bob Scheffing. Ironically, it was an 8 game losing streak at the beginning of September that may have eventually been the death of their chances of reaching the postseason. Anyway, the point of this card was to review the 1960 season. Basically, the card back lists the names of the team's batting leaders: Al Kaline (leader in average - .253 - and hits - 153) and Rocky Colavito (leader in home runs - 35 - and runs batted in - 153) and pitching leaders: Jim Bunning (leader in ERA - 2.79 - and strikeouts - 202). Below the leader stats is a list of all 14 of the Tigers pitchers with their records versus the other seven teams.
- Lo-Hi Beckett value: $3.00-$8.00.
In case you're actually wondering, I don't own this card, but was able to get a crystal clean copy of the image from the from the Baseball Card Cyber Museum. So thank you Joe McAnally and the folks at the BCCM.
Well, it's back to normal on Monday. Tomorrow's card will be: 1999 Topps #24. Post will arrive at 1:00 PM CST. Come on back then to see what the Topps Card Randomizer gets us to look at then.