It's Retro Sunday!!! Thanks to the Topps Card Randomizer, introducing the Random Topps Card of the Day for Sunday, January 1, 2012:
- Official Card Set Name and Card Number: 1965 Topps #525.
- Player Name, position, team: Eddie Bressoud, shortstop, Boston Red Sox.
- Major League Debut: June 14, 1956.
- Last Line of Statistics: 1964 stats (Red Sox): 158 G, 566 AB, 86 R, 166 H, 41 2B, 3 3B, 15 HR, 55 RBI, .293 AVG.
- Any special information about players: Signed by the New York Giants as a Free Agent before the 1950 season. Traded by the Houston Colt .45's to the Red Sox 11/26/1961. Bats: right. Throws: right.
- Number of regular Topps Cards (includes regular and traded cards only): 10. This is his eighth card.
- Blurb on the back: "A well-travelled veteran, Ed blossomed into an ll-Star player with the Boston Red Sox. The shortstop broke in at Springfield in '50."
- Commentary: To celebrate the return of the Randomizer, it is only fitting that there be a few changes to the way the posts will be presented. This is the part where I talk about the player or make a comment about the card. This set, known for the pennant holding the player's name, is one classic design that we will see in a couple of years when 2014 Heritage comes around. The card appears in the fourth and final series in the 1965 Topps set. Bressoud made his lone All-Star Game appearance in 1964. Prior to his four year stint with the Red Sox, Bressoud manned the infield for the New York and San Francisco Giants (he made the move to the west coast with the team in 1958). He continued his career with the Mets and Cardinals and upon retirement, he was a minor league manager and scout for the Angels. Ironically, while he was a rather decent defender, the cartoon above his stats shows a fielder shielding himself from a number of baseball. Fortunately, the caption reads "Ed led the Sox in doubles in 1964" so hopefully, the fielder is from the opposing team.
- Lo-Hi Beckett value: $3.00-$8.00.
- How many cards of each player do I own?: 0 cards.
Well, it's back to normal on Monday. Tomorrow's card will be: 2000 Topps #91. Post will arrive at 1:00 PM CST. Come on back then to see what the Topps Card Randomizer gets us to look at then.
Happy New Year Everybody!!!