Saturday, July 30, 2011

The Sports Card Blogroll...Three Years Later.

It's hard to believe that it's been three years ago that I came up with the idea of creating the Sports Card Blogroll.  It wasn't an original idea as another blogger had created one prior (and was just reaching 100 blogs then).  The reason why I created it is on the sidebar of the big Blogroll, so I do need to thank dayf the Cardboard Junkie for the inspiration, and Mario for plugging my blogroll when Wax Heaven was in its heyday.

So in three years, the blogroll has listed just under 500 blogs dedicated to the Hobby we all share...Sports Cards.  Many have come and gone over the years.  All were filled with promise, all had potential, and most certainly, all made their marks in the blogging community.  Whether the purpose was to inform the collecting public about the latest products, give their opinions about anything regarding the Hobby, have an open access to trading, or just to entertain, the bloggers who devote time and energy to their individual sites show how much passion they have about the cards, the teams, the players, and the sports they love.

Since the last blogroll post, the SCB reached a blogroll high 341 blogs.  With 326 blogs going into July, that means that 15 new blogs were added to the active roster.  A number of existing blogs were also revised to update their new or proper names:
One of the rules about blogs staying on the blogroll is that they had to remain relevant.  What I meant then, and this still rings true today, is that for a blog to stay on the blogroll, it had to have been updated within the last six months.  The reasons for the six-month cutoff is that if a blog hasn't been updated in six months, the chances of the blog or blog writer returning is slim at best.  Now that is not to say that blog writers who stopped writing won't come back (a number of blogs were added back to the active roster), but to me, there was no sense in keeping a blog on here if the blog was either abandoned, deleted, or neglected after six months.  I certainly didn't want to hold onto blogs that show that they were last updated over a year ago. 

To that end, every month, I list the blogs that I am removing here for posterity.  One reader suggested that I create a kind of Sports Card Blog Purgatory/Graveyard (not necessarily in those words) when I thought of possibly creating a bloglist of the inactive blogs that were removed over the years.  I think that's a good way of keeping tabs of blogs from long ago, and in the event the blog writer finds his or her muse, and comes back, at least I would know to add them back as soon as possible.

Today, the blogroll removes the following sites from the active roster:
Eleven blogs that have not been updated since January, 2011, are now being moved to the sidebar for recently removed blogs.  That brings our total of blogs on the roll down to 330, meaning that the SCBR gained a net total of four blogs (from 326, +4). 

As always, if you or someone you know has a blog that focuses on the Hobby of Sports Card collecting, please let me know about it by e-mailing me at bdj610@hotmail.com.  If you're blog is being removed, or is no longer on the site, but you are planning on writing again, let me know that as well. 

To all who use the Sports Card Blogroll as part of your daily trip around the Internet, I thank you for stopping by and making the SCBR one of your stops along the way. As I often tell up and coming bloggers upon joining the Community, "enjoy the journey."

Sincerely,

JayBee Anama

1 comment:

Fuji said...

Thanks for all of the work and effort you put into this blogroll. I've met numerous people who are interested in starting a blog... and one of the first things I tell them is to contact you.

Keep up the great work.

BTW... The Nitty Gritty just put up a new blog post 2 days ago.