Monday, June 13, 2011

Live from Wheeling Donuts, a Two Pack Break of 2011 Topps II


Two Packs of 2011 Topps Series 2.  What's in them?  Let's find out!!!

I was writing this post and sent it at 3:57 p.m. via my cell phone.  However, it seems to have been lost during transmission.  Here it is again.

So I found myself having to take the day off because I had to take my son to the doctor's office (I only found out about it yesterday but forgot all about it until we got the phone call to remind us of it).  Afterwards we found ourselves going to my family's latest business endeavour, Wheeling Donuts.

My family has been in the bakery business for a very long time, starting with my grandmother (who I have mentioned a bit in this humble, little blog).  My family also ran a bakery in Winnetka for a number of years, moving to Wilmette for a couple of years, before having to call it quits.  Since then, we have also opened a small cookie and cupcake shop at a mall, first in Northbrook, then in Skokie.  But we've decided to get out of the mall and in August, will open the shop at a new location in Park Ridge, IL.  You can visit the site of Mrs. A's Cupcakes and Cookies by clicking on the hyperlink.

Wheeling Donuts has been around for 16 years or so, and starting June 1, my family took over the business.  So it's a lot of work, but it looks to be very good for my family.

But I digress.

On Sunday, I bought two packs of the latest product to hit the shelves, 2011 Topps Series 2.  Something to tide me over until I find that master set on the Bay.  And what better place to do a pack break than at a donut shop? 

Just bear with me, will you? I mean you read (hopefully) my post up to this point (probably wondering where the text was if you came here a while ago).  So here is what came the packs of cards.

Pack #1 included the following cards (rip):
  • Chris Tillman, Orioles #636
  • Brett Myers, Astros #428
  • Brandon Beachy, Braves, RC #446
  • Neftali Feliz, Rangers, ASRT #600 (All-Star Rookie Team...deserved it...but Topps had to fit that Strasburg kid somehow)
  • Livan Hernandez, Nationals #451
  • Raul Ibañez, Phillies #656
  • Hank Aaron Red Diamond #RDT30
  • Lou Brock Kimball's Champions #KC-76
  • Craig Biggio 1993 60 Years of Topps #60YOT-101
  • Travis Snider, Blue Jays #382
  • David Freese, Cardinals #452
  • Ryan Zimmerman, Nationals #660
Pack #2 offered the following cards (tear):
  • Phil Coke, Tigers #391 (someday there will be a guy named Pepsi in the big leagues...BOOK IT!!!)
  • Fernando Rodney, Anges #581
  • Jason Hammel, Rockies #338
  • Brad Emaus, Mets RC #427
  • Casey McGehee, Brewers #608
  • Bobby Abreu, Angels #528
  • Tulowitzki/Jimenez Diamond Duos #DD-22
  • Joe Mauer Diamond Stars #DS-3
  • Nick Hundley, Padres #384
  • Mark Teahan, White Sox #565
  • Mike Fontenot, Giants #577
  • Brad Hawpe, Padres #572
So there you have it.  Possible highlights of the pack break include the McGehee card (with the retro uniform), the Joe Mauer Diamond Stars card (sparkly), the Hank Aaron Target card (one down, 14 to go..yeesh), and the Craig Biggio card (which I'll be writing about on a later post).

Sincerely,

JayBee Anama

No comments: