Tuesday, July 13, 2010

To the White Sox Fans That I Work With...(All 2 of You)...


You know how I said, "Wouldn't it be funny if Marlon Byrd, the only Cub on the NL team, hits a home run off Matt Thornton, the (at the time) only White Sox on the AL team?"

So with two on, Thornton comes in to replace Phil Hughes. And after getting Chris Young (wasn't he one of your prospects too) to pop out, guess who came to the plate? Marlon Byrd. And yes, the commentators had to mention the Cubs and their difficulties (fortunately, not so much...they focused on Byrd and his career more), Byrd battled Thornton to a walk. And...you know the rest.
On the box score tomorrow, you'll see that Thornton was responsible for one run...Byrd's. Okay, so Byrd didn't hit a home run off your pitcher...he still scored off him.

Look, I know the Cubs are 9.5 games out while your Sox are clinging to a .5 game lead in the Central. And you can gloat all you want the rest of the season if (and it's a big IF) the White Sox somehow manage to win the AL Central (good luck with that...). But tonight, if just for one night, on national TV, you have to admit that the Cubs (albeit one guy) got the better of the White Sox in this game.

I would promise not to grin from ear to ear when I show up for work tomorrow, but then again, I hate breaking promises. Then when the season starts up again, the trash talking can commence...and I promise to have my earphones on when you pass by my little cubicle area when you "loudly and boorishly" talk about that team on the south side of Chicago and their slim to none chances of winning the division, let alone the whole enchilada.

Sincerely,

JayBee Anama

No comments: