Monday, September 7, 2015

Did You Miss Me???

Well, this is new.

All the news about 2016 Topps came in August, and short of one post that featured the design, I have been silent.

I can explain.

This is the busy time of year for the Food Distribution industry. Many companies, mine included, are getting ready for the holidays and the biggest event for the year, a Food Show. I'm not going to it, but I have been getting ready. My goal these last seven to eight weeks is to clear my calendar so I can focus on ensuring that our customers get the proper discounts when they make their orders at the big food show. It's always a busy time of the year, something I'm accustomed to, but something new always gets added that makes the work interesting.

That's the life of a Contracts and Pricing Coordinator.

Anyway, I have had a month to digest the upcoming 2016 eponymous product, as well as looking forward to this year's Update Series. I realize that I never posted the sell sheet images on this humble, little blog, so I will make sure to do that when I get a bit more free time.

Summer is now over and everyone in the family has been settling back into their back-to-school routines. This gives me a bit more time to focus on work, and probably a bit more time to focus on adding cards to the collection. While nothing has been grabbing my attention, I am kind of surprised that the prices of master sets of this year's Allen and Ginter's product are set so low compared to the master sets of Gypsy Queen. I have yet to find a master set lately of GQ that goes for under $200, while full sets of A&G are going for just about $70. I'm not complaining, but I either have had no time, nor no money to take the plunge yet. Maybe with the next paycheck...we'll see.

But in the mean time, I was able to get a pack of 2015 Topps Allen & Ginter's at the local big box store a couple of weeks ago. I thought to myself, "How better to announce my triumphant (yeah, right) return to the blog than by posting what is in this 14-card pack?"


Let's see what's in here:
  • #42 Max Scherzer, Washington Nationals
  • #74 Casey McGehee, San Francisco Giants
  • #143 Mike Zunino, Seattle Mariners
  • #282 Adeiny Hechavarria, Miami Marlins
  • #139 Chris Sale, Chicago White Sox
  • #61 Domonic Brown, Philadelphia Phillies
  • #SP-98 Starting Point Max Scherzer, Arizona Diamondback
  • #WOULD-3 What Once Would Be Robot Housekeepers
  • #267 Jered Weaver, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim Mini
  • #294 Adam Wainwright, St. Louis Cardinals Mini Black Border
  • #344 Jordan Zimmermann, Washington Nationals
  • #212 Chris Tillman, Baltimore Orioles
  • #104 Didi Gregorius, New York Yankees
  • #272 Glen Perkins, Minnesota Twins
Once again, Topps has provided more of the weird and wacky when it comes to their insert sets. While I didn't get a mini, the Robot card is pretty cool, and I look forward to what else is in this set (when I get my master set, of course). All players, save for the robot insert, no "World Champions" outside of baseball to speak of in this pack. I did manage a short-printed card in Zimmermann, so that's a nice bonus.

September may be a busy time for me personally, but it's also an important month for this blog. As the MLB season winds down, articles for the annual MLB Debut comparison (this year between 1995 and 2015), "Who will make the 2015 Topps All-Star Rookie Team?" and End-of-the-Year All-Star Teams are being written as we speak. The annual "Guess the ASRT" rookie contest is coming back. And other things may be coming back (like "Pack Break Week") as well as thoughts and those earlier-promised images of the sell sheets for 2015 Topps Update Series and previews/opinions about 2016 Topps based on the sell sheets (as long as you're willing to read one more person's opinion about 2016 Topps).

If I can pull myself away from the real world and come back to the Hobby Blogging Universe for a bit.

Sincerely,

JayBee Anama

1 comment:

RAZ said...

Part of the reason for the low price on the master sets compared to Gypsy Queen is that cards # 301-350 aren't actually short-printed this year. There was some confusion on that point, but I think it's been established that only the mini cards # 301-350 are short-printed, while the standard size cards are not.