- Official Card Set Name and Card Number: 2009 Topps Update and Highlights #UH48.
- Player Name, position, team: Albert Pujols, All-Star First Baseman, National League.
- Blurb on the Back: "Pujols garnered nearly 5.4 million fan votes for the 2009 MLB All-Star Game, second only to Ken Griffey Jr.'s ballot haul in 1994. He was at the center of the festivities at his home ballpark, including as a competitor in the MLB Home Run Derby. Albert also caught the ceremonial first pitch from President Obama."
- Commentary: Albert Pujols was on top of the baseball world for most of the 2000's. From the time he made the team out of spring training back in 2001, Pujols became one of the biggest stars in the game. And in 2009, he got the chance to host the rest of baseball's elite at the All-Star Game being held at Busch Stadium. He competed in the home run derby the day before, hitting 11 balls into the seats, good for fourth. The following day, he, catcher Yadier Molina, and pitcher Ryan Franklin, represented the Cardinals on the NL side (with manager Tony LaRussa named one of the "coaches." Unfortunately, the AL pitching staff, after allowing three runs in the second inning, shut down the NL squad. Th AL offense, who had scored two runs in the first, came back with runs in the fifth and eighth to win the game 4-3. Pujols went 0-3 that night, grounding out 5-3 in the first inning (Roy Halladay pitching), 3-1 in the third (Mark Buehrle), and 6-3 in the sixth (Felix Hernandez). In 2009, Topps signed a license with the CMG group, which allowed them to produce cards of legendary players like Babe Ruth, Jackie Robinson, etc. In their U&H set, they created a series of SP cards linking players from the past with current day stars via card number. As #UH48 was the number assigned to Albert Pujols' All-Star card, #UH48b featured another legendary slugger who played for the Cardinals (albeit during the twilight of his career)...Roger Maris.
- Lo-Hi Beckett value: $0.75-$2.00. (Roger Maris: $6.00-$15.00)
Tomorrow's card will be: 2008 Topps Update and Highlights #UH92. Post will arrive at 1:00 PM CST. Post will arrive at 1:00 PM CST. We're looking back at a card from 2008 here on the blog tomorrow.