- Official Card Set Name and Card Number: 1962 Topps #577.
- Player Name, position, team: Dave Nicholson, outfielder, Baltimore Orioles.
- Major League Debut: May 24, 1960.
- Last Line of Statistics: 1961 stats (Little Rock, AA-Southern): 121 Games, 419 At Bat, 61 Runs, 104 Hits, 17 2B, 7 3B, 20 HR, 73 RBI, .248 Avg.
- Any special information about player: Signed with the Orioles as a Free Agent before the 1958 season. Bats: right. Throws: right.
- Number of regular Topps Cards (includes regular and traded cards only): 8. This is his second Topps card.
- Blurb on the back: "Dave was given a hefty bonus by the Orioles when they signed him in 1958. The Baltimore front office thinks that this is the year that Dave will make it big in the majors."
- Commentary: David Lawrence Nicholson's 1962 Topps card is one of 43 cards that were short-printed within the final series of cards produced that year. And because it was distributed towards the end of the year, the cards within this series are a bit harder to find because most of the collectors (kids) were focused on football. While Nicholson did toil in the minors during his 1961 campaign, he did make the Orioles out of spring training in 1962 and appeared in 97 games as a reserve outfielder, playing all three positions in the field. He would hit for a .173 average, with 9 home runs and 15 rbi's in a limited role. He was traded to the White Sox in the deal that sent future HOF Luis Aparicio to Baltimore. After three seasons in Chicago, he was traded once again, this time to the Astros for a season. While he did finish the major league portion of his career with the Atlanta Braves in 1967, he did play for two more seasons in the minors for the Triple A teams for the Braves and the Royals.
- Lo-Hi Beckett value: $12.50-$30.00.
- How many cards of this player do I own?: 0.
In case you're actually wondering, I don't own this card, but was able to get a crystal clean copy of the image from the from the Baseball Card Cyber Museum. So thank you Joe McAnally and the folks at the BCCM.
Well, it's back to normal on Monday. Tomorrow's card will be: 2003 Topps #670. Post will arrive at 1:00 PM CST. Come on back then to see what the Topps Card Randomizer gets us to look at then.