- Official Card Set Name and Card Number: 1984 Topps #187.
- Player Name, position, team: Luis Aponte, pitcher, Boston Red Sox.
- Major League Debut: September 4, 1980.
- Last Line of Statistics: 1983 stats (Red Sox): 34 G, 62 IP, 5-4, 28 R, 25 ER, 37 SO, 23 BB, 0 GS, 0 CG, 0 SHO, 3 SV, 3.63 ERA.
- Any special information about players: Signed with the Red Sox as a Free Agent 01/12/1973. Bats: right, Throws: right.
- Any special information about this specific card: Aponte's second regular Topps card (total includes regular and traded cards only). Because I've been behind on these Random Cards of the Day segments, I'm going to try and do three a day until I'm caught up. If I'm lucky, this will mean I will have all three weeks worth of RCotD posts done by Sunday. Luis Aponte was one of the Red Sox' primary set-up men in the early 80's. He was, by all accounts, one of their better pitchers in the bullpen. There really wasn't much to say about the Venezuelan native, but Topps did find a way of filling in the spaces underneath his statistics. In fact, Topps recounted four games from the 1983 season on Aponte's card, all good things mind you. The blurb on the back mentions two games in particular: a scoreless relief appearance "for Victory" on 04/08/1983; and earning the win in a game against the Mariners on 07/11/1983 in extra innings. Below the blurb is a dateline segment featuring two more games that Aponte played during the '83 campaign where he: hurled 3 scoreless innings for a save 05/19/1983 and tossed 3 innings for a win on 08/03/1983. He was traded to the Cleveland Indians in time for the 1984 season, and after 25 games in a relatively short season for Aponte, called it quits for good at the end of the year.
- Lo-Hi Beckett value: $0.05-$0.15.
- How many cards of each player do I own?: 3 cards.