- Official Card Set Name and Card Number: 1983 Topps #706.
- Player Name, position, team: Floyd Bannister, pitcher, Seattle Mariners; Steve Carlton, pitcher, Philadelphia Phillies.
- Special: 1982 AL and NL Strikeout Leaders
- Commentary: When the Topps Company actually made enough cards to include them in their eponymous sets, there would be room for statistical leader cards. Whether Topps used an All-Star card (as was the practice in the late 80's through early 90's), or as a card such as this one, one could always flip the back of the card to see who were the top players in a certain statistical category. For the subject of today's RTotD, Topps paired the strikeout kings of the 1982 season: Floyd Bannister of the Mariners, who topped the AL with 209 K's; and future HOF Steve Carlton of the Phillies, who led the majors with 286 strikeouts. Looking at the back of this card, you would also learn that Mario Soto of the Reds AND Nolan Ryan of the Astros struck out more batters (274 and 245 respectively) than Bannister, ranking Floyd #4 in the category for MLB. For Bannister, 1982 would be his best season in the Majors. On the heels of leading the AL with 110 K's, along with a 8-5 record, 3.15 ERA, and 2 shutouts, he was named to his first (and only) All-Star Team. He finished the season with a 12-13 record, but established himself as the M's ace. "Lefty," on the other hand, had another "typical" year for himself. By "typical," I mean, he won another Cy Young Award (his fourth and final one), was named an All-Star (for the tenth and final time), and finished the year with a commanding 23-11 record, 19 complete games, 6 shutouts, and 3.10 ERA in 38 starts. Following Bannister on the K-list are Len Barker (Indians, 187), Yankees pitchers Dave Righetti (163) and Ron Guidry (162), John Tudor (Red Sox, 146), Rick Sutcliffe (Indians, 142), Dave Stieb (Blue Jays, 141), teammate Jim Beattie (140), Jim Clancy (Blue Jays, 139) and Jack Morris (Tigers, 135). After Carlton, Soto, and Ryan on the NL side are Fernando Valenzuela (Dodgers, 199), Steve Rogers (Expos, 179), Bob Welch (Dodgers, 176), Don Robinson (Pirates, 165) Scott Sanderson (Expos 158), Bruce Berenyl (Reds, 157), and Bill Gullickson (Expos (155).
- Lo-Hi Beckett value: $0.10-$0.30.
Tomorrow's card will be: 2007 Topps #542. Post will arrive at 1:00 PM CST. Flash back with the blog tomorrow.