Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Number of 2009 Topps Series I SP Cards I Now Have Stands at 8!!!

I came home late last night to find two envelopes in the mail. One came from Joe Hoelscher, the other from friend of the blog, eBay rival, and all around great human being, Craig Parker from Texas (check out his blog called My Topps Cards, or better yet, go to his actual site, then come back here for the rest of the story).

First of all, I want to thank Joe for an incredibly smooth trading experience. For the price of twelve 2009 Topps Gold cards (most from the package that came with the Christy Mathewson card, so thanks Dorrey for the help), I received:

Tris Speaker #270.

Now Joe, I just saw on the good old Topps Message Board that you also now have a Jimmie Foxx SP card. I just sent you another e-mail asking what it would take to get that card from you too. I see you have a ton of wants from 2008 Topps (golds and gold foils). I think I can whittle that down for you. I will let you know tomorrow.

Now, the package received from Craig from Texas needs a bit of explanation. I received an e-mail from Mr. Parker stating that he had some cards that he wanted to trade to me. The thing is, as mentioned before on this humble little blog, Craig has a collection that is, oh probably about 100 or so (really rough estimate) cards away from a full run of every Topps card in existance. This guy has almost every Topps card from 1952 to 2009. I don't have much in terms of vintage. Heck, I highly doubt that I have ANYTHING that this guy is looking for. So I replied to his e-mail, thanking him for the offer, but telling him that the vintage cards that I have worth trading (and this is anything between 1952-1975) are cards he most likely has. I listed nine cards, most from the 60's, one each from 1958 and 1959, and one card from 1973. I continue stating that if there is anything I can give him for the three cards to please let me know. He replies back, saying that he just needs my address to send cards that he found from my wantlist.
So the package comes today. I open it up, and there is a note specifically saying,

"Here are three cards I think you can use. I get great value out of your blog so consider this an even trade. Continue the great job of keeping me informed. Take care-Craig."

I open the package, and...and...You know what, words can't even describe this man's generosity. This is what he sent:

Honus Wagner #205.

Rogers Hornsby #10 & Johnny Mize #320.

Craig, thank you very much for the three cards and for the compliments regarding this humble little blog. Thank you for your generosity. You are truly one of the good guys in this Hobby. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

So the number of SP cards I have has doubled (from 4 to 8). I'm almost half-way home. Now, if I can only find a card shop doing that Ring of Honor giveaway...

Sincerely,

JayBee Anama

1 comment:

TDLindgren said...

WOW! Craig is the man! Very generous! I can't wait to see the whole completed set on the blog.

I would love to get the whole set, but that's OK, I'll just stick with the 4 I've got and I'm happy to have those. I just picked up the Gehrig the other day on eBay, so I have Ruth, Gehrig, Cobb and Robinson and that'll be it for me until Series 2 comes out. We need more people like Craig in this great hobby of ours!