Sunday, January 25, 2009

Topps Trivia Question of the Week, January 25, 2009

Can you tell that I have lots of time on my hands? First, I bring back the popular What Card is This? segment, and now I'm back with the Topps Trivia Question of the Week. I think because the last time I ran this segment, the question was either too hard, I didn't word it properly, or nobody really cared to respond. So I've really not had any motivation to run this game again.

But because I'm bringing the Topps What??! of the Week segment back with a post tomorrow, I thought that this trivia question will be a good preview of what I'll be discussing.

The questions involve the 2001 Topps Archives set. To celebrate Topps' 50 years in the hobby, Topps created a set that consisted of the reprinted first and last cards of 200 legendary players, from the Hall of Famers, to the Fan Favorites and "local stars". The reprinted first (and in many cases, rookie) cards of the 200 players were originally produced from 1952-1985. The last cards used almost all the designs from the previous 50 years (all the way to 2000). I say almost because there was at least one year's Topps design, two if you really want to be more specific, that was not utilized at all for this set (with the possible exception of a Autoproof card...but that doesn't count here). And to make it even more puzzling, four players' first and last cards were from the same year.

So the questions are:

1. What year(s)' Topps design was not used among the 200 players' reprinted first and last card? I'm looking for one specific year, but if you answer with both, it works for me.

2. Name the four players who only appeared in one Topps set that appeared in this set, meaning those players' reprinted first and last cards were from the same year?

Answers will be coming later in the week. But please feel free to answer the questions in the comments. Good luck.

Sincerely,

JayBee Anama

2 comments:

RoofGod said...

The four players with repeated cards are Satchel Paige 1953 Topps cards numbered 318 and 328, Ralph Branca 1952 Topps cards numbered 227 and 326, Joe Garagiola 1952 Topps cards numbered 228 and 357 and Ralph Kiner 1953 Topps cards numbered 243 and 370.

The only card set not included in the the two series is 1999 Topps. (I guess you could add 1951 Topps to that mix as well.)

Captain Canuck said...

uh... yeah, what he said;)