Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Ladies and Gentlemen, Introducing 2017 Topps Baseball

It's the most...wonderful time...of the year.

Yes, we still have two months more of baseball season (not counting playoffs), and 2016 Topps Update Series hasn't come out yet. And don't forget National Baseball Card Day this Saturday.

But in August, at least the last few years, Topps introduces the new design that we will all be after once the 2017 Baseball Card Season starts. This year is no exception.

Are you ready?

Are you excited?

I know I am.

So what are we waiting for?

Ladies and Gentlemen, here is the design for 2017 Topps Baseball:


Continuing with the gray-transparent corners (there has to be some kind of design element that looks like a border...even though this is Topps' second "borderless" design), this year's major design element is the big slanted "X" that holds the player name, position, team name, and team logo. Think basepaths? The top of the card looks a bit pixelated. Maybe it's my screen and may not be an actual design point, but this is definitely an improvement. The smoky design on some of this year's cards, while a nice touch, did detract from some of the pictures.

I'm really liking the design, and I don't have the cards in hand yet. Hopefully Topps will come out with a press release or something explaining the reasons for the design, and maybe a sell sheet.

But what do you think? Do you like the design? Hate it? Thoughts?

Sincerely,

JayBee Anama

2 comments:

ToppsBawlyn87 said...

If its Topps baseball, I support it; I just wish they'd wait until November-December to release the design. The update set hasn't even been released.

Phil said...

I like this, and I think it improves upon the trend started this year. I noticed that the 2016 cards are almost all HEAVILY retouched, so much that they look almost too sharp and hyper-realistic. This Kershaw example looks more photo-realistic, like Stadium Club or classic Upper Deck.