Monday, May 5, 2014

Oh Yes, It's Taco Night, and the Feeling's Right...Oh Wait...I've Been Gone a Full Month AGAIN!!!

To those who haven't given up on this dog-and-pony-show of a blog...thank you for sticking around.

One of the fun things about having a full-time job (and working at home) is that I have...well...work. And it's been a busy time at the new job. Lots of reports, lots of promotions, lots of contracts to maintain, and we have a food show coming up, so there was work to do there.

And then April just came and went.

To be honest, the Cubs poor performance (plus the White Sox trying to stay afloat) hasn't really motivated me to watch many ball games, but the card world still goes on. Thing is though, I have been quietly building the collection up, not only with catching the legendary sp's from 2010 and 2011, but with getting my hands on a 2014 Gypsy Queen set, with inserts.

Once again, Topps nailed it with this set. A good mix of legends and current players in the unique picture format exclusively used for Gypsy Queen. The base set looks great, and I can now claim to have cards of rookie cards of Jose Abreu and Masahiro Tanaka (among others). Now it's time to focus funds on the 32 retail sets before Topps Series 2 arrives on the shelves. More on that when it's time.

Is it really time for me to give up the Random Cards of the Day? The last one I have ready is the one for Tippy Martinez for March 27. I haven't done anything new since. But then again, I haven't made the time to get down to the basement scanner to upload. I might have to spend a weekend just scanning cards for so I have images at the ready.

Back to some Hobby news (as it relates to me anyway).

Topps Bunt, the app that had the Hobby world abuzz early this year, could only be used with Apple i-everythings and only can be accessed through the Apple iStore. Well finally Topps has figured out that not everyone has an Apple device (like me...I have an HTC-One which utilizes Android) and is starting to format their highly popular app for Android devices. Beta-testing will be happening soon, and the company has asked for volunteers to beta-test the Android version. Guess who signed up and was selected to participate? That's right. I do.

Yay!!!

Also, a number of card-bloggers have requested to get their sites onto the big Blogroll or return to the blogroll. I have your emails, I have your tweets, and I will work on getting them onto the site shortly. I apologize for the delays.

Balloting for the All-Star Game at Target Field is up and running. Hoping to get the Series 2 cards before the rosters are announced, and you know this site covers rosters and the impending changes.

Tonight is Cinco de Mayo. A time of celebration in Mexico. It celebrates the day back in 1862 when the Mexican army overcame all odds and beat the French forces at the Battle of Puebla. This is not Mexico's Independence day (that would be September 16), nor is it a national holiday (it is celebrated voluntarily), outside of Mexico. But in the United States, Cinco de Mayo is a day to honor Mexican heritage and pride.

To celebrate, the family is having taco night. I'd splurge on tacos at the Bell (have you tried their breakfast offerings???), but I thought it would be easier (and more cost-effective) to prepare them at home. Somehow home-made tacos just taste better, probably because you can build your own tacos to your tastes. And thanks to Avon, we have all of the taco holders, platters, and other hardware to use.

In 2009, in honor of the holiday, I created my All-Time Mexican Baseball Team. Since 2009, five more Mexican-born players made their MLB debuts, including:


Fernando Salas of the Cardinals (from Huatabampo, Sonora)


Miguel Gonzalez of the Orioles (from Guadalajara, Jalisco)

along with Arturo Lopez (Culiacan, Sinaloa), Francisco Rodriguez (Mexicali, Baja California), and Ali Solis (Mexicali, Baja California).

Celebrate responsibly if you're going to go out tonight.

Gracias por la lectura (Thank you for reading). ¡Adios!

Sincerely,

JayBee Anama

No comments: