It's Retro Sunday!!! Thanks to the Topps Card Randomizer, introducing the Random Topps Card of the Day for Sunday, February 03, 2013:
- Official Card Set Name and Card Number: 1971 Topps #482.
- Team: 1970 San Diego Padres.
- Last Line of Statistics: 1970 stats: Manager Preston Gomez, 63-99, .389 PCT., 39 GB, Sixth Place National League West.
- Commentary: The Topps Card Randomizer picks another team set from the 1971 Topps set, this time the second year San Diego Padres. The second year Padres experienced an eleven game improvement over their expansion team record. But that's not saying much, considering most of the players on said team were castoffs from the other teams in the majors. The back of the card features the franchise's all-time team leaders, which in all of two years, features mostly the stats of the players from 1970. Offensively, the team was led by Clarence Gaston...okay, you probably know him better as "Cito"...the guy that led Toronto to two World Series Championships in the 1990's. In 1970, Gaston led the fledgling Padres in almost every offensive category (at least the ones that Topps listed on the back of the card): at bats, runs, hits, singles, total bases, rbi's, and batting average. Other team leaders included Nate Colbert (games, triples, and homers), Ollie Brown (doubles). Pitching leaders on the Padres included staff ace Pat Dobson (14-15), who led the team in complete games, innings, and strikeouts, Tom Dukes, who led the team in saves with 10, and Ron Herbel, who appeared in 64 games, and finished 31 of them out of the bullpen (he also saved nine games). In 1971, the team finished with a 61-100 record, and after 11 games into the 1972 season, manager Gomez was replaced by Don Zimmer.
- Lo-Hi Beckett value: $2.50-$6.00.
Well, it's back to normal on Monday. Tomorrow's card will be: 1989 Topps #246. Post will arrive at 1:00 PM CST. Come on back then to see what the Topps Card Randomizer gets us to look at then.