For some reason, I never did get to use the computer downstairs all of last week, so I missed posting this when I said I would. So that means that any entries that were sent to my e-mail address between November 2 and November 6 will be included as part of the contest. There were a lot of interesting choices amongst the field of participants, so I am wishing myself the best. This could get mighty expensive if I make enough mistakes.
The Topps Company has already sent the 30 MLB managers a ballot that will determine who will get voted into the 2011 Topps All-Star Rookie Team, and will get that lovely gold trophy added to their 2012 Topps baseball cards (unless they return to the horrid silver cup from 2010...or worse, if they forget to put them on at all!!!) So without further ado, here are my picks for the 2011 Topps All-Star Rookie team. If you out-guessed me, participants who have already sent their entries to my e-mail address (and those who inadvertantly left their picks in the comments) could win a complete 150-card set of 2005 Topps Rookie Cup (contest rules here):
- 1B: Freddie Freeman, ATL (157 G, 0.282, 21 HR, 76 RBI)
- 2B: Danny Espinosa, WSH (158 G, 0.236, 21 HR, 66 RBI, 17 SB)
- 3B: Brent Morel, CWS (126 G, 0.245, 10 HR, 41 RBI)
- SS: Dee Gordon, LAD (56 G, 0.304, 0 HR, 11 RBI, 24 SB)
- OF: Eric Thames, TOR (95 G, 0.262, 12 HR, 37 RBI)
- OF: Ben Revere, MIN (117 G, 0.267, 0 HR, 30 RBI, 34 SB)
- OF: Doug Jennings, TB (63 G, 0.259, 10 HR, 25 RBI, 20 SB, 0.805 OPS)
- C: J. P. Arencibia, TOR (129 G, 0.219, 23 HR, 78 RBI)
- RHP: Ivan Nova, NYY (27 GS, 16-4, 3.70 ERA, 98 K, 1.331 WHIP)
- LHP: Corey Luebke, SD (17 GS, 6-10, 3.29 ERA, 154 K, 1.067 WHIP)
- RHP: Craig Kimbrel, ATL (79 G, 4-3, 2.10 ERA, 127 K, 1.039 WHIP, 46 SV)
For sure there will be players like Mark Trumbo of the Angels, Eric Hosmer of the Royals, and Daniel Descalso of the Cardinals who warrant consideration, as well as Zach Britton of the Orioles, Jeremy Hellickson of the Rays, Jordan Walden of the Angels, and others will have their votes (from either the MLB managers, or you the readers).
Let the debates begin!!!