Sunday, June 21, 2009

How I'm Going to Spend My Father's Day...

Let's see...

  • Breakfast in bed (here's hoping...)
  • Mow the lawn (it's been a few weeks since I last mowed. It hasn't helped that it rained really hard on Friday. Hopefully, Saturday's 80 degree temperature dried the ground enough.)
  • Drop my wife and daughter off at Sleeping Beauty ballet (being performed by my niece)
  • Hang out with my dad and my son at the bakery while waiting for girls at ballet (if not, church at night)
  • Sort through and put into binder pages of the series 2 Topps Master set that arrived in the mail on Friday!!!
Next to the breakfast and hanging out with both my dad and my son, I'm looking forward to poring over all the base and insert cards from Series 2. I still plan on showing off the box and pack breaks that I did last week while my daughter's final dance recital was going on (I went to the first one.)

To all dads out there, have a good one. To all those expecting to be dads soon, let me tell you that it's one of life's great joys to be a dad. There is a saying I heard that I actually agree with when it comes to fatherhood. I don't know who originally said it.


"Any man can be a father, but it takes a special kind of man to be a Dad!"

Last year, I did a post on Fathers and Sons who appeared on Topps cards. Well, kinda. I did a father's day post last year, and forgot about the Topps cards. So the cards had their own special post. Friend of the blog Big Daddy found this page on the Baseball Reference site that features fathers and sons who played in the bigs (so many that it needed a second page!!!)


(on a final note, I wish to end today's post with what I wrote last year to all fathers:)

My wish to all fathers out there is to continue showing the love and caring that you do to your kids. They truly need you in their lives, even though they won't admit it. Show an interest in what they like and what they don't like. Teach them to love themselves and others around them. Teach them to behave like adults, but remember to let them still be kids. Be there for them, regardless if they want to share their problems with you or not. Because they eventually will, you will never have to force them to do it. And even if they don't, at least be a good listener, and show that you truly are concerned. Learn from your kids. They will teach you just as much as you want to teach them.

And finally, to Dads Everywhere:

Your children love you, even more than you love them. Why??? Because you've loved them for only a little while. Your children have loved you all their lives.

So be a good dad. Go out there and spend some time with your kids. You don't need to be reading anything else I have to say today. This is your time to be with them. So turn off the computer, and have fun with the kids. I'll be here on Monday when you get back.

And Happy Father's Day.

Sincerely,

JayBee Anama

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

damn almost brought a tear to my eye... Well said!!!! Happy Fathers Day!

David said...

Sounds like just about the greatest day, one could ever want.