Monday, June 24, 2013

I'm Not Dead...I Swear (Although Last Week Was Another Issue).

When last this blog was updated, I was just reviewing a 2-pack break of 2013 Topps Archives on Father's Day. While the packs were decent, there wasn't much to write home about. But then after that was a blur.

Why? Do you even want to know? I'll tell you anyway.

Let's just say that a major league allergic reaction pretty much incapacitated me all week and killed any desire to go to the basement computer and blog about the Hobby we all know and love (and boy was there a ton to talk about). It got to the point where I couldn't swallow at all last Monday and on Tuesday through Thursday, my body was over-reacting to the combination of allergy medicine, cough medicine, and whatever it was my mother gave me. It was really brutal. I don't even know how I made it through the week. Needless to say, I was useless at home, and I have apologized to my wife and kids for not being "there" this past week.

So beyond all that, let's just say that the Random EVERYTHING Cards of the Day will be updated hopefully by the end of the week. If people are even still reading those posts anyway. I swear, when the All-Star Game news and player announcements come out, I'll be back to my normal self (I hope).

To update what happened to me (that didn't involve getting sick, medicine, and whatever), let's go back to Father's Day. As we all know Topps, with the help of their Hobby shop partners, were running promotions coinciding with Father's Day and Topps Archives and the upcoming release of Topps Series II.
So as any good Dad would do, I took my son to the closest card shop that was hosting this promotion (in this case, it was AU Sports in Morton Grove...yes, they moved remember??!), and lo and behold, they had packs galore to host for the promotion. We had to hurry though, because the guy wanted to close the shop early so he can spend father's day with his dad.



And even though I missed Week 1's promo, the shop owner was kind enough to give me a couple of packs from that week's promotion as well as what looks to be a week 2 promotion pack of Archives. Unfortunately, I didn't bring in any 80's cards from my boxes of extras (I would have made a killing had I known this) and was even willing to buy a common from his shop so I can get a pack of Series 2 Topps. Needless to say, the guy was kind enough to let me have that one for free. Yay!!! So I have all four packs of cards in my possession.

UNOPENED SINCE FATHER'S DAY!!! (yes, that's how sick I was). Take a look:


The top packs were part of the week 1 giveaway. The pack on the bottom right was the Archives promo for week 2. Which really is confusing, because the guy at the counter said that this was the pack of Series 2 and that it just says "Topps Archives" promotion because that's the official name of the promotion. That leaves the pack on the bottom left being the one-card "vintage" pack which could be anything from the 1950's through the 1980's. I'm kind of curious as to what I have on me. Let's see what it is:


Yes, friends, I am now the proud owner of a 1957 Topps Saul Rogovin card. Beckett books it anywhere from $4.00 to $8.00 EX-MT to NR MT condition. What a find!!! It's nice to win a card from the 50's, even if it's of a player who finished his career in 1957 (this is his final Topps card).

I have to get going. I'll look over the rest later. But the whole point of posting today was to rest assure anybody left who reads my blog that I'm still here, I have a lot to get through, and will get through it I promise.

If only these darn allergies and coughing will go away!!!

Sincerely,

JayBee Anama

No comments: