Thanks to the Topps Card Randomizer, introducing the Random Topps Card of the Day for Thursday, May 23, 2013:
- Official Card Set Name and Card Number: 2003 Topps #705.
- Player Name, position, team: Miguel Tejada, Most Valuable Player, American League.
- Blurb on the Back: "Miguel's string of clutch September hits during the 2002 pennant race, added to his final .308-34-131 numbers, clinched his selection as the AL Most Valuable Player. The power-hitting shortstop followed George Bell and Sammy Sosa as the third Dominican to win the honor. When told of his distinction, Manny (yes, it says Manny, not MIguel) said, "I don't think there can be anyone on earth more happy than I am right now.'"
- Commentary: I don't know about you, but this picture makes Miggy (not Manny) look a lot shorter than 5'9". Tejada did not lead the AL in any hitting category in 2002 (he did appear in all 162 games, so there's that), but when you help lead your team offensively to a 103-59 record, and have a phenomenal second half to the season (.325 average, 19 home runs, 72 rbi's, and an .926 OPS in 74 games), you get a lot of consideration for MVP. Of the 28 voters who selected the MVP that year, 21 gave Tejada first place votes, which led to 356 points and a 102 point lead over the runner-up Alex Rodriguez of the Rangers (254, 5 first-place votes). The rest of the MVP field consisted of Alfonso Soriano of the Yankees (234, 2 first-place votes), Garret Anderson of the Angels (184), Jason Giambi of the Yankees (162), Torii Hunter of the Twins (132), Jim Thome of the Indians (69), Magglio Ordonez of the White Sox (59), Manny Ramirez of the Red Sox (39), Bernie Williams of the Yankees (32), David Eckstein of the Angels (24), Nomar Garciaparra of the Red Sox (24), Athletics teammates Barry Zito (22) and Eric Chavez (14), closers Eddie Guardado of the Twins (12) and Troy Percival of the Angels (12), defending AL MVP Ichiro Suzuki of the Mariners (10), Billy Koch of the Athletics (8), Red Sox pitchers Derek Lowe (3) and Pedro Martinez (1), and Mike Sweeney of the Royals (1).
- Lo-Hi Beckett value: $0.07-$0.20.