Monday, April 2, 2012

Two Shows and Twelve Cards Later...

With Blogger acting up saying that my Internet Browser is no longer able to see certain features, I now have Google Chrome as a third Internet browser (along with IE which I don't know what version I have, and Opera).

Anyway, I tweeted earlier (follow me @bdj610):
I don't know what the fuss is about. Went to 2 card shows within 2 miles of each other. Both full & there were kids. Hobby dying? Not here.
On the rare Sundays that there is not one but TWO card shows within distance of each other, I try to find ways to get to either, if not both.  Today, I was able to do just that.  Will I complete my ToppsTown set?  Will there be more surprise Original Backs found in the quarter bins?  Will I find my missing Gold Futures card?  Stay tuned.

I arrived at the first show at 10:00 am CST, and the place was already hopping.  It was packed as usual, and believe it or not, there were kids.  KIDS!!!  I found the one card I needed to complete my Gold Futures set (Mark Trumbo), and found an original back card from 2010 Topps Update Series (1975 Berra/Campanella MVP).  Total spent on both cards:  $0.50.

Seeing nothing else that I needed, I proceeded to the second card show.  This was another Fred Copp production.  Less of a crowd here (the spillover from the first show had not yet arrived).  Saw a stack of 2011 and 2012 Topps Stickers.  I do not yet have the 2012 Topps Sticker album, and I still need five more stickers to finish off the 2011 book.  Unfortunately, I did not find any of the five I needed.  I did find five of the nine Prime 9 Home Run Legends cards.  The dealer said he had six, and was going to sell them to me for $5.00, but it turned out that he only had five of them (missing #5, Alex Rodriguez).  Still paid him $5.00 for the cards.  

The same dealer also had three SP cards from 2010 Update series.  Now, I have really been bad about trying to hunt these down lately.  But thanks to other commitments (like mortgage, utility bills, groceries), these SP cards have been less of a priority.  And they're getting harder to find!!!  But this guy had three of them (Steve Carlton, Washington Senators, New York Giants).  And I could have them all for $15.00.  Unfortunately, I was out of cash, so I asked him to hold on to them and that I would return shortly.

I ran to the bank, but decided to stop back at the first show, just in case anyone had the missing Home Run Legend cards that I needed.  Sure enough, one dealer not only had the ARod card, but also card #7, Mr. Cub himself, Ernie Banks.  For $3.00, the pair was mine.  After double checking all the tables to see if there was anything I had missed (a stack of ToppsTown cards turned out to be from Series 1), I headed back to the Copp show.

The person who had the Prime 9 cards did find the ARod card in his possession, but because I already bought it at the other show, I had to decline.  But after giving the gentleman the $15.00 for the three SP's, my trip was done; and it was time to head home.

I wound up spending a grand total of $23.50 for twelve cards.  All make great additions to my want list.  I spent a bit more than I had anticipated, but I had to have those Prime 9 cards, and now only need the Frank Robinson #8 and I think it's Albert Pujols for #9 to complete the set.  Maybe I'll check the Bay later on for the last two.

Who said the Hobby is dead??!  It certainly isn't here in Chicago.

Sincerely,

JayBee Anama

No comments: