Since the first Futures Game in 1999, more than 120 players who were named to either the US or World rosters have become MLB All-Stars, with many of them are participating in this year's All-Star Game. Twenty-seven players on last year's roster have already played in the majors.
Back to the point.
Today, the best minor leaguers from the United States take on the best prospects from around the world (Dominican Republic, Canada, Cuba, Venezuela, Colombia, Lithuania, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Taiwan, Virgin Islands...and there was one player from South Africa who was originally selected, but is now injured). Of the 54 players (50 on active rosters, plus 4 selected players who were replaced due to injury, a MLB call-up, or suspension) who were named to either team, 26 of them appear in the 2016 Topps Pro Debut set. Who made the cut?
From Team USA:
- Andrew Benintendi, OF, Red Sox (#152)
- Phil Bickford, P, Giants (#69)
- Alex Bregman, IF, Astros (#142)
- Willie Calhoun, IF, Dodgers (#192)
- David Dahl, OF, Rockies (#60)
- Clint Frazier, OF, Indians (#123)
- Carson Fulmer, P, White Sox (#147)
- Amir Garrett, P, Reds (#107)
- Jeff Hoffman, P, Rockies (#29)
- Austin Meadows, OF, Pirates (#49, injured)
- Hunter Renfroe, OF, Padres (#159)
- Dominic Smith, IF, Mets (#148)
- Christin Stewart, OF, Tigers (#61)
- Dansby Swanson, IF, Braves (#1)
From Team World:
- Willy Adames, IF, Rays (#22)
- Jharel Cotton, P, Dodgers (#118)
- Yandy Diaz, IF, Indians (#31)
- Eloy Jimenez, OF, Cubs (#44)
- Reynaldo Lopez, P, Nationals (#112)
- Manuel Margot, OF, Padres (#63)
- Jorge Mateo, IF, Yankees (#39, suspended)
- Josh Naylor, IF, Marlins (#172)
- Tyler O'Neill, OF, Mariners (#189)
- Alex Reyes, P, Cardinals (#151)
- Amed Rosario, IF, Mets (#96)
- Raimel Tapia, OF, Rockies (#136)
This is a prospector's dream with many ready to sell if their guy has a breakout game. Team USA has won the last five Futures Games, and own a 11-6 record over their World counterparts. With many of these players ranked in their respective team's top 30 prospect list, this won't be the last we hear from any of them.
Let the games begin.