Monday, December 31, 2012

2013 Here We Come!!!

It's New Year's Eve. My sister's birthday (happy birthday Migz!!!) And the year that was 2012 is now drawing ever so closer to an end. By the time this post appears, it will be just two hours before midnight in the Central Time Zone.

For the fifth year in a row, I post on this night to review the past year's triumphs and failures (and boy were there a lot of both) and what the direction of this blog is going to be.

I will be honest and say that a lot of what I wanted to do this past year on this humble, little blog, were just not done.  Although I was able to revive the Random Card of the Day segments since the first of October, and the Random Retail Team Sets of the week have been a hit, there were still a lot of things I would have liked to have been able to write about, especially in the first half of the year.  Certainly being out of work has contributed to my writing more, if not at least posting here once a day, but I look back on my posts from 2008-2010 and wonder, "Where did THAT guy go???"  Have I lost my zest for blogging?

Certainly most of the bloggers that were around before I got here have started to stray from their sites.  I haven't seen the likes of the blogger who writes White Sox Cards as of late (I hope you're okay Steve).  The Junkie has been on the fence about calling it quits.  Stale Gum has taken to twitter to rant and rave about how he would like Topps to end the "gimmicks," even though they work and are now part of the chase (will get to that word in a minute) in our Hobby.  And even the guys who were the rebels of the Hobby Blogging world (by them, I mean those who were outright against "The Number One Source in the Hobby") have either mellowed with age (thank goodness) or are working with firms trying to knock Beckett off the Hobby pedestal they've resided in for decades.  I had a hope that the Sports Card Blogroll would reach 400 blogs in 2012.  Now I worry that there it will barely hold above 300 by the time I write my final post for 2013.  Heck, even I have skipped months updating the site.  That's not good.  But thank goodness for guys like Wrigley Wax, like Night Owl, like Fuji, like Nachos, and the passionate Orioles collectors (yes there are more than one) who have continued to write about all that is good about the Hobby.

I was supposed to do more of the 2011 Topps Archives project series in 2012, but my lack of posting for the majority of the year pretty much killed all hopes of doing anything productive with it.  Maybe now that the Archives title has been brought back, we can change it to Topps Archives...What It Should Be!  With more retired players, managers, and so forth and so on.  Whether it be future hall of famers, or those one-season wonders.  I hope to have something figured out soon.

Looking back at last year's New Year's Eve post, I can happily say that I did find all 16 of the 2011 Update Series ToppsTown cards I needed, and was able to get my hands on the 25-card HTA set as well.  Throughout the year, I've been able to knock a lot of the sets that I couldn't afford in past years.  Some of you (there are still people reading this blog, right???) may have noticed that the number of cards in my collection has increased by about a thousand or so since September.  That's because in the last three months, I've been able to buy the following items off the Bay at reasonable prices:
  • 2007 Topps Turkey Red Master Set
  • 2012 Topps Update Series Master Set
  • 2011-12 Topps Gypsy Queen Master Sets
  • 2012 Topps Archives Master Set
  • 2009-10 Topps 206 Master Sets
  • 2010-12 Topps Allen & Ginter Master Sets
  • 2010 Topps National Chicle Master Set
And thanks to finding Check out My Cards and Sportlots, I have been able to chop down my wantlists for a lot of singles I need for sets I'm still trying to complete, especially the 2010 Topps Red Backs and Blue Backs and the Original Back reprint cards from 2010 and 2011 Topps.  I am down to about five cards each on the red and blue backs and about 36 reprint cards to go before calling those sets complete.  

One thing that I had started was the All-Time All-Star Team Tournament.  It took a lot longer to get the full rosters (including adding some players) onto my new blog, and then trying to find cards for every player (even if I did have to make a few of my own).  I had the schedules, the matchups, and rules posted, and even a few first round results.  But then, I stopped.  The simulations took a lot longer than I liked because I was not fully prepared with how I wanted to post the results.  It is my hope in the coming year that I get back on track with the tournament. 

Which reminds me...

I totally ignored The Topps 300 (and then some...) blog in 2012.  Actually, I ignored it in 2011 also.  I'm surprised when I get the weekly sitemeter reports to find that at least two people a day still find their way somehow to that blog.  I really should take a look at that as well.

There is so much more to look forward to in 2013. Yes, we will all find out of the monopoly will continue (which I am hoping it will) or if there will another company will be fully licensed (doubt it).  Most important of all of this is the cards. THE CARDS!!! The cards of 2013 Topps, while initially received mixed reviews in the design department, are now starting to look great and I can't wait to add them to my collection. Stay tuned for information on SP's, interesting variations, the ever "dreaded" gimmicks, and all things Topps as they celebrate their 62st year in the MLB card business. With that said, in what has been tradition on this blog:

Goodbye 2012!!!


Hello 2013!!!


Goodbye 2012 Topps Design!!!



Hello 2013 Topps Design!!!


May all your collections grow to new heights. Let's hope Topps makes it a bit easier on us insane set collectors. Thank you for letting me into your computers this past year. I hope to be able to share more of my collection with you in 2013!!!  The Chase is On!!!

Sincerely,

JayBee Anama

1 comment:

The Junior Junkie said...

Thanks for the preview of 2013 Topps - looks great. This is the first place I've seen it...