Friday, February 27, 2009

Target in Sight...Ready...Aim...

I have to give credit to the gentleman who runs Nachos Grande. He took the initiative (why none of the rest of us did is beyond me) to send an e-mail to Topps asking about the "all black" cards found in blasters at WalMart. Needless to say, the answers are intriguing.

Ripped off verbatim from his e-mail response from the Topps Company:

Thank you for your inquiry. Please be advised, the Black bordered cards is a Wal-Mart exclusive.

To assist collectors in identifying the Wal-Mart exclusive “BLACK” cards in 2009 Topps Baseball Series 1, Topps is issuing the $19.99 Value Box’s 9-digit component code. This code can be found directly on the top of box’s bar code.

In addition, Target also has an exclusive $19.99 Value Box, which includes “THROWBACK” versions of 2009 Topps Baseball Series 1 featuring gray-back cardboard stock and the retro Topps logo. These boxes also have an identifiable component code found directly on top of the bar card.

The exclusive limited edition sets include each of the 330 subjects found in the 2009 Topps Series 1 Base Set. The codes are as follows:
Wal-Mart “BLACK” Cards
Code: 1-825-50-13-9
All the base cards found in this version of the VALUE BOX will be “BLACK”.

Target “THROWBACK” Cards
Code: 1-825-50-12-9
All the base cards found in this version of the VALUE BOX will be “THROWBACK”.


As always, please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Service team (By Phone: 800-489-9149, or by Email:support@etopps.com) if you ever have any other questions, comments or suggestions. A customer service representative will be available to answer your questions between the hours of 8:30am-4:30pm (EST), Monday through Friday.
Sincerely,
Consumer Relations
The Topps Company, Inc.


So as soon as I get out of work, and before I get home, it's off to Target. I have to see this for myself.

Sincerely,

JayBee Anama

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That definitely makes things a bit more complicated, but at least they are variations that are quite easyto pick out.

night owl said...

The trick is that your local big boxes is stocking the stuff. I went to Wal-Mart tonight and there wasn't even a blaster, let alone a blaster with the magic serial number.

Nachos Grande said...

Thanks for the link.

These seem to be tough to find still in many places, I bought the last blaster in one Wal*Mart...but my local Wal*Mart didn't have ANY 2009 Topps. Target hasn't had any blasters yet that I've seen, though I'll be on the lookout for the parallel blaster.

I was impressed with Topps reply time on my email I sent them - this was the second email I sent Topps (I sent one regarding the "multiple of three" phenomenon in Stadium Club before we figured that one out....but they never bothered to respond then.)

Anonymous said...

I wonder if they left the high-gloss coating off the Throwback Topps cards... I could be interested in that little exclusive deal if they really feel like throwback cards.

TDLindgren said...

I would be interested in the regular Mantle card #7 if you get one.

Anonymous said...

Hey was googling to find the Complete list of 2009 Topps cards. BTW seems no one has a complete list. lol. Cause of all the list I've compiled i have a few cards with the numbers like LLP-7 (Ledgens of the Game Micky Mantle) in example. It looks like the regular Legends of the Game cards except of the number and it has a Silver top instead of the Green top. To the ones that are looking for the Walmart exclusive blaster packs. You should vist the walmart I went to today oh man they were stuff with them they had them on the selves and the manager said they had 3 full cases of them in the back. Havent check Target out yet. But I do know the Walmart one has 10-8 pack cards (80 cards) and one LPR card. You'll get most of the TR cards in those 80 cards I found 4 out of my 6 in there. I love the style of those. But I am going to send Topps an email about the LLP cards. If you want further inquires please dont heist to email me at callmecrazy1689@aol.com.

Firefighter HF117 over and out.