Wednesday, February 8, 2017

2017 Topps Series 1 Cards in Hand...FINALLY!!!


After a week of waiting and watching everyone else enviously opening packs, boxes, and cases full of the stuff, I finally have my hands on some packs of 2017 Topps Series 1. Needless to say, I'm thrilled. I've been dying to see these cards up close and personal, and now I have my chance.

So without further ado, my first card of 2017 is:


This is a good card to get as the first of the year (last year's was Nick Ahmed of the Diamondbacks). It's a Rookie Card, complete with the MLB RC logo. Bregman was the 3B for the 2016 Topps All-Star Rookie Team. He's expected to do big things for the 'Stros in 2017. He's on an infield that includes Carlos Correa and Jose Altuve. As Harold Reynolds says, "What's not to like? He's tremendous!" (I've been watching waaaay too much Hot Stove on the MLB Network...can baseball start up already??!)

What else showed up on my initial pack of eponymous product?:

  • #300 Arodys Vizcaino, Braves
  • #27 Kurt Suzuki, Twins
  • #204 Anthony Rizzo, Cubs, RBI League Leaders (2nd place)
  • #16 Lance McCullers, Astros
  • #137 Yan Gomes, Indians
  • #5T-16 Wil Myers, Padres, 5 Tool Players
  • George Brett 1975 reprint promo card
  • #340 Aaron Nola, Phillies
  • #59 Carlos Rodon, White Sox
  • #191 Wilson Ramos, Nationals
  • #252 Clint Robinson, Nationals
  • #182 Keon Broxton, Brewers

Here are some of my thoughts about this first pack of cards:

  • While I like having a Cubs card (albeit a Rizzo LL card), I think if they were to have a single player for a LL card, it should only be of the actual league leader (in this case, Arenado). I know that both Arenado and Kemp will have their own RBI LL cards, but Topps could have just left it at one card per league per stat, with the LL on the front, and maybe the other two pictured with the leaderboard on the back.
  • Love the rainbow of colors used for the backs of the card. They're bright and the text on the back is easy to read. The social media section is nice if you want to follow you favorite players on Twitter and Instagram, but I find it funny that if a player doesn't have either (like Suzuki for example) that Topps takes advantage of it by adding its handles.
  • The Five Tool insert looks a bit busy, but I get it. There are five pictures of Myers on his card, supposedly featuring the five tools he is supposed to possess (hit, hit for power, run, field, throw).
  • The pictures on the cards are really up close and personal. Like for Ramos' card, it looks like you're actually on the mound as he gets into his batter's stance.
  • I like the design of this set. The fog that was prevalent on last year's set is limited to the bottom part of the card, just under the diagonal design element. The design justifies not having borders. But I do miss them and hope they come back in 2018.

Overall, it was a good pack. I can't wait to tear into the rest of my haul today (or later today).

Sincerely,

JayBee Anama

1 comment:

Bulldog said...

Not a bad pull. I like these cards.